01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Line detection set on new camera but not triggering

Vauxfan

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I have set my line detection in the cameras Web browser yet its not working. No notifications or triggers.
Should I have the Web page open in the nvr at the same time? As this it how I get to the camera from the nvr page.
8mp g2 colorvu. Up to date firmware. I series nvr

Should I reboot either the camera or the nvr for it to take effect?
How do I reboot either? It won't delete anything after rebooting will it?

Last edited:
Is the the Web page or directly on the nvr the interface? The local nvr direct doesn't have that option and the nvr Web browser shows blank picture on the 8mp camera selection. The 4mp has the picture showing though

Last edited:
You should always configure via the NVR to avoid potential issues. If I had a pound for every time I've mentioned that on this forum I'd be about £43 better off...

Line crossing is definitely available from the NVR local menu. Only the "target validity" setting is not there.

You should always configure via the NVR to avoid potential issues. If I had a pound for every time I've mentioned that on this forum I'd be about £43 better off...

Line crossing is definitely available from the NVR local menu. Only the "target validity" setting is not there.
Is this Web access to the nvr or direct through the nvr

Is this Web access to the nvr or direct through the nvr
Either. Due to issues with various browsers I'll use direct when I can but via the web browser is fine.

I forget which NVR you have. Is it the I series? If yes the reason you can't find line crossing in the direct menu is that it moved in later firmware - it has caught a few people out. It used to be in Events, Smart Events (directly below Basic Events). Now it's in Smart Analysis > Perimeter Protection. Smart Analysis has a separate icon at the top of the screen - magnifying glass with zig zag.

Either. Due to issues with various browsers I'll use direct when I can but via the web browser is fine.

I forget which NVR you have. Is it the I series? If yes the reason you can't find line crossing in the direct menu is that it moved in later firmware - it has caught a few people out. It used to be in Events, Smart Events (directly below Basic Events). Now it's in Smart Analysis > Perimeter Protection. Smart Analysis has a separate icon at the top of the screen - magnifying glass with zig zag.
Great, yeah it I series.

I'm still peeved that there is no led trigger yet on detection.
Also in hik connect the green goes 3/4 green when I press hd from basic. I can play back fine and when I do get some notifications then I can not vue the playback from the notification.

I'm still peeved that there is no led trigger yet on detection.
I really can't understand why people are so upset about this. In the case of the I, IU, L and LU variants, the white LED illuminator is there to illuminate and aid exposure in low light, exactly as the infra red illuminator is for a non ColorVu camera. It's not intended as any sort of deterrent. Anyone wanting a deterrent should have the ISU/SL or LSU/SL variant which has a separate LED specifically for that purpose. I guess it's caused more of an issue that Hikvision had it available for a short time before removing it..

Also in hik connect the green goes 3/4 green when I press hd from basic. I can play back fine and when I do get some notifications then I can not vue the playback from the notification.
Possibly a network issue. I try not to use the HikConnect service at all, but when I have to (for notifications to work) I will always manually forward the required ports in the router, rather than relying on the NVR managing port mapping with NAT and UPnP.

"Possibly a network issue. I try not to use the HikConnect service at all, but when I have to (for notifications to work) I will always manually forward the required ports in the router, rather than relying on the NVR managing port mapping with NAT and UPnP"

Sorry unsure what you mean here. Not that tech savvy to this extent.

All I know is the 4mp cameras work perfectly fine in HD view and notification playback.
It's only the 8mp that won't display the full image in HD. It will in basic. It will also do playback most of the time when it's not a notification. The notification playback won't load up and stalls at about 88% and the HD makes 3/4 of the image green.

I use it to view when I'm in the kitchen if the kids are out or at work If parcels etc are being delivered.
The app is for mobile viewing.

I will look at your advise for the where abouts the line detection is in the nvr.

My 4mps have the led that I do use as a deterrent. It shows the cameras have power and pick you up when entering the area.

"Possibly a network issue. I try not to use the HikConnect service at all, but when I have to (for notifications to work) I will always manually forward the required ports in the router, rather than relying on the NVR managing port mapping with NAT and UPnP"

Sorry unsure what you mean here. Not that tech savvy to this extent.

All I know is the 4mp cameras work perfectly fine in HD view and notification playback.
It's only the 8mp that won't display the full image in HD. It will in basic. It will also do playback most of the time when it's not a notification. The notification playback won't load up and stalls at about 88% and the HD makes 3/4 of the image green.

I use it to view when I'm in the kitchen if the kids are out or at work If parcels etc are being delivered.
The app is for mobile viewing.
There are two ways of setting up HikConnect. One method just requires that you let the NVR manage port forwarding, the other way you do it manually but have to set up in your router rather than the NVR. The latter is more reliable and works better, though it won't necessarily resolve your problem. I'd hazard a guess that your issue is related to the connection between your phone/tablet, HikConnect and your NVR.

The HD setting connects to the stream that is used for recording - the main stream. That stream is high resolution and high bit rate. It will use a lot of data and so your mobile app will need a good WiFi download speed when you're viewing it locally, or when remote you'll need a good download speed over 4G/5G. That one cameras stream might peak at 12 megabits per second or more, so if your WiFi connection while in the kitchen can't match that required speed continuously, you'll get issues like you are seeing. In addition the HD stream will put more demand on your device to decode that HD stream. The SD setting connects to the sub stream in the camera which is lower resolution and bit rate and is adequate for viewing live on a mobile device.

You could try temporarily turning off WiFi on your phone. Often you'll get a better download speed over 4G than you will from your own WiFi network if the coverage is sketchy in areas of your house. Put the Speedtest app on your mobile and run it in various areas of your house to see what your actual speed is over WiFi. Don't think for a moment because your ISP (Internet Service Provider) says you have a 100 Mbps connection that you'll get that over your WiFi. There are many factors that can reduce the actual speed significantly.

Last edited:
I have tested my download on my mobile with WiFi and its 197. Upload is 20 and pig 13.

This is a screen shot. What is trigger alarm out put?
I want it to alarm at the nvr when the line is crossed like it did on my 4mp. Is everything ticked that should be?

Attachments

• 20211226_200044.jpg
    20211226_200044.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
My current settings. Changed just now to 25fps from full frame.

Attachments

• 20211226_200707.jpg
    20211226_200707.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 20211226_200700.jpg
    20211226_200700.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 144
My current settings. Changed just now to 25fps from full frame.
A couple of pointers.

Sub stream is not so important as that's the SD stream that you would normally view on your mobile. However you should set it to Video and Audio, otherwise you'll have no audio when you're viewing that SD stream on your phone.

Main stream normal and main stream event should always match - which they do. However you've got the bit rate on 6144 which is below Hikvisions recommended value of 8192. From memory mine is set to 10240.

For the audible alarm at the NVR you need "Buzzer", for the HikConnect notification you need "Notify Surveillance Center" and you must have a tick in the box for the corresponding camera under "Trigger Channel" which you do. "Audio Alert" and "Audio and Light Alarm" should NOT be ticked unless you have a camera that supports it (camera model ending ISU/SL or LSU/SL)

Trigger alarm output is for if you had a light or sounder wired into output 1 of the NVR and wanted it to switch on when the event occurs.

Is the bit rate determined by the Internet then. Not by what I manually do? The only thing to note is my nvr is not plugged in to the router directly as its upstairs. It's on a wired tp link.

Is the bit rate determined by the Internet then. Not by what I manually do? The only thing to note is my nvr is not plugged in to the router directly as its upstairs. It's on a wired tp link.
The bit rate you set is what the camera will attempt to utilise. It will try and produce the stream at 25fps at the resolution you set. If it cannot do that due to the amount of movement in the scene it will burst over what you set and then drop frames.

The network problem I guessed earlier will undoubtedly be the link between your NVR and router - I’m guessing this is a power line adapter? While your phone can download at nearly 200Mbps and upload at nearly 20Mbps on WiFi, the link between your NVR and the internet will be the weak link. If you’re viewing a stream in HD, the NVR needs to be able to upload (not download) at around 10Mbps and it’s unlikely the power line will do that - noise in the electrical circuit, the router being on a different circuit to the NVR and possibly on a different RCD or RCBO in the consumer unit will all degrade the maximum possible throughput of the link.

If you have a laptop, disconnect the NVR and plug the laptop into that adapter, switch off WiFi on the laptop and run a test on Speedtest.net. You’ll see the difference in the connection speed. That will be the issue. You’ll probably have to get a CAT5E from the NVR to the router if you want a reliable connection.

Thank you for all your help. I will try this and if like you are thinking is the issue then I will have to run a cable some how from the router to the nvr. There is some virgin media cables in a box in the cupboard up stairs where the nvr is. I'm told these are for if you want virgin media up stairs. Don't know if it's for another router or whether it's for a TV box though.

Thank you for all your help. I will try this and if like you are thinking is the issue then I will have to run a cable some how from the router to the nvr. There is some virgin media cables in a box in the cupboard up stairs where the nvr is. I'm told these are for if you want virgin media up stairs. Don't know if it's for another router or whether it's for a TV box though.
Doing a speed test directly through the adapter to which the NVR is connected would be the first step. Running a few tests you’ll probably get different speeds each time. To prove it just temporarily throw a cable from the NVR to the router- as rough as you like just to try it. The additional cables you have will be no good - they are just RG6 coaxial cables for an additional TiVo box.

Edit: One other thing regarding the Powerline Adapters. They should always be plugged directly into the wall socket. If you have them plugged into an extension at one end, the other or both, that will degrade the signal further.

Last edited:
Back