01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using Acusense Camera for security lighting

dkbolduk

Hi, does anyone use the alarms on the acusense cameras to control security lighting? There seems to be a delay before I receive notification on the app. I'm not sure whether it is quick enough to be used in this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's the electrical integration which I asked about in a previous thread:
I've only done alarm integration to date. With the amount of PIR false alerts I'm hoping to do the security light integration in the next year.....

Thanks Mike. I had looked at the post a week ago, similar to what I'm looking for. I suppose in theory the cameras are much more intelligent than a PIR (especially the cheaper ones) I would've hoped with some tweaking they could be made to be much more reliable. My issue is that the delay before my home automation system (or indeed the Hikvision app) displays the alarm. I like the light come on as walk to the garage but they delay means I'm almost past it before it becomes a visible alarm on my home automation system. Perhaps I need to rethink it and have one of the other cameras picking movement up before I reach it, say walking out of the front door, the garage light comes on. Be interesting to see how you get on.

Well, I have the light & sound camera and it only lags by about 1 second, I'd assume the alarm output would be nearly as fast so I wouldn't discount it!! IT's certainly much more intelligent as the PIRs I currently have are going off all night when the wind blows the long grass! I haven't had a single false alarms in ages on the hikvision which is brilliant!

Hi, does anyone use the alarms on the acusense cameras to control security lighting? There seems to be a delay before I receive notification on the app. I'm not sure whether it is quick enough to be used in this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The delay tends to be in the notification as this is pushed to your phone via Hik Connect. It's a free service, so that time delay (for me at least) can vary. "Most" of the time I find the notifications work great, but sometimes I've had them delayed nearly a minute.

For your security lights you would be setting your linkage action to also "trigger alarm output" and using that output to drive a relay acting as a switch for your lights. As that is handled locally by the NVR (if using the NVR alarm output) or camera (if using a camera with input/output terminals) it will be near instant with no delay so you'll have no issue there.

The delay tends to be in the notification as this is pushed to your phone via Hik Connect. It's a free service, so that time delay (for me at least) can vary. "Most" of the time I find the notifications work great, but sometimes I've had them delayed nearly a minute.

For your security lights you would be setting your linkage action to also "trigger alarm output" and using that output to drive a relay acting as a switch for your lights. As that is handled locally by the NVR (if using the NVR alarm output) or camera (if using a camera with input/output terminals) it will be near instant with no delay so you'll have no issue there.
Thanks for the message. I have a home automation system that resides on the same network as the NVR. The app I have for the home automation system works locally and there is also a delay. The system connects to the NVR locally and across the network so I was hoping it would be quicker but it's not. I'll have to see if I can wire a relay directly to the camera and see if that triggers instantly as you say.

Thanks for the message. I have a home automation system that resides on the same network as the NVR. The app I have for the home automation system works locally and there is also a delay. The system connects to the NVR locally and across the network so I was hoping it would be quicker but it's not. I'll have to see if I can wire a relay directly to the camera and see if that triggers instantly as you say.
Understood. I've been dabbling with home automation for about a year now (Hubitat) and have seen one or two integrations for Hikvision but haven't tried any yet as I've always had a dedicated multi zone security lighting system. Also, the integrations I've seen use the http data transmission/alarm server in the camera so I'd need to take my cameras off the NVR and put them on a PoE switch for those messages to get to their destination. It is something I'll set up at some point as I'd like to get my front door camera line crossing switching the TV input when someone arrives.

Understood. I've been dabbling with home automation for about a year now (Hubitat) and have seen one or two integrations for Hikvision but haven't tried any yet as I've always had a dedicated multi zone security lighting system. Also, the integrations I've seen use the http data transmission/alarm server in the camera so I'd need to take my cameras off the NVR and put them on a PoE switch for those messages to get to their destination. It is something I'll set up at some point as I'd like to get my front door camera line crossing switching the TV input when someone arrives.
The camera alarms are all setup on home assistant and use an integration as part of HA. I use the same principle for a telecom alarm system and it works instantly. I'll try wiring a relay direct to the camera alarm output and see if that speeds things up. As we've said above it should be much more intelligent than a cheap PIR.

Back