01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to connect to camera WEB GUI unless I change IP address?

Skn

Apologies in advance as I'm very green to the whole networking and setting up of these things. Just fiddled with things and somehow got them working for the majority.

Recently replaced my original hikvision cameras with hikvision compatible (not oem) 8mp. NVR is also hikvision compatible unit from months ago, not new.
To setup new cameras, I connected the camera to my PC via ethernet + 12v, use ajdevtool (SADP equivalent) tool to set the camera IP to same as previous camera then reconnect it to the NVR POE.

From this, live view and everything works on the new cameras, but I cannot connect to WEB GUI from the link in NVR, it just times out.

Not sure why, but to connect to WEB GUI, I change the camera IP address from NVR camera management settings, (usually change last digit) and then I can connect to the WEB GUI, BUT have lost the live view ability. Once I've fiddled with camera settings (colorvu light settings) I change last digit of IP back to regain live view.

Can anyone help me fix this? Ideally I'd like to be able to view the camera live view and still connect to WBE GUI to adjust camera settings.

Not home currently but if any particular screenshots of settings help, let me know.

Hi @Skn

If the new camera is a 3rd-party ONVIF camera and not a Hikvision or Hik-OEM model then I don't think it will be possible to access the camera from the Virtual Host link within the NVR because this is a feature exclusive to Hikvision products.

If you want to access specific camera settings of a 3rd-party camera it will need to be connected to the local network via a PoE switch/Injector so that it has its own local network IP address that can be used to login to the camera directly.

Hi @Skn

If the new camera is a 3rd-party ONVIF camera and not a Hikvision or Hik-OEM model then I don't think it will be possible to access the camera from the Virtual Host link within the NVR because this is a feature exclusive to Hikvision products.

If you want to access specific camera settings of a 3rd-party camera it will need to be connected to the local network via a PoE switch/Injector so that it has its own local network IP address that can be used to login to the camera directly.
Hi Dan,

My apologies, I got my terminology mixed up. It is a "HIK-OEM" camera but is not a hikvision original. Sold as hik-oem plug and play with hikvision devices.
What I'm struggling with is the link can work, but only if I change the IP from camera management screen within config. ie. 192.168.254.16 is fine for live view but the link (http://192.168.0.102:65003/) will timeout. If I change the IP to 192.168.254.14 the live view drops out but the link will then open the hik-oem camera web GUI.

Thanks for clarifying @Skn

This is very strange, I can only think that there is some kind of subnet address conflict with another device connected to the NVR.

Can you please share a screenshot of the camera management page from the NVR?

Thanks for clarifying @Skn

This is very strange, I can only think that there is some kind of subnet address conflict with another device connected to the NVR.

Can you please share a screenshot of the camera management page from the NVR?
Camera management.PNG

Two cameras (D1 & D4) are still hikvision original, haven't replaced them yet.
D2 & D3 are the problem ones

Thanks @Skn

Can you just clarify, when you are changing the IP address is that only on the camera management page in the NVR menus?

If it is that is very strange because changing the IP in the camera management page only changes the IP address assigned to that channel and not the IP address of the camera, this would explain why the cameras live drops when you change the camera management IP because all you are doing is disconnecting from the cameras assigned IP address but I can't understand how the camera is still accessible via Virtual Host if the channel is set to a non-assigned IP address.

Can you move the problem camera back to the PC/12v PSU and confirm what IP address it currently has assigned? (please share a screenshot of the camera's network information)

I wonder if it could have something to do with you using the same subnet address as a previous camera, maybe try changing the camera's IP address to something beyond the range currently used by the NVR (e.g. 192.168.254.18 or 192.168.254.20)

Thanks @Skn

Can you just clarify, when you are changing the IP address is that only on the camera management page in the NVR menus?

If it is that is very strange because changing the IP in the camera management page only changes the IP address assigned to that channel and not the IP address of the camera, this would explain why the cameras live drops when you change the camera management IP because all you are doing is disconnecting from the cameras assigned IP address but I can't understand how the camera is still accessible via Virtual Host if the channel is set to a non-assigned IP address.

Can you move the problem camera back to the PC/12v PSU and confirm what IP address it currently has assigned? (please share a screenshot of the camera's network information)

I wonder if it could have something to do with you using the same subnet address as a previous camera, maybe try changing the camera's IP address to something beyond the range currently used by the NVR (e.g. 192.168.254.18 or 192.168.254.20)
Yes, only changing the IP in that camera management page screenshotted, didnt touch anything else.

This is D2 camera network settings (using ajdevtools, SADP doesnt seem to work for these hik-oem cameras)
Corner camera IP setttings.PNG

I tried changing the camera's IP in just camera management and then both camera management and cameras network settings. Same results as before.

Can confirm it would be same subnet address as previous cameras as I dont understand them and figured I'd just copy what worked previously for the camera's settings

okay, the possible problem might be the gateway address.

I can see from the above screenshot that the camera is still set to the local network gateway address (192.168.0.1) and this needs to be set to the NVR gateway address.

You can confirm the NVRs gateway by going to the NVR network menu where there should be an IP address labelled as something like "Internal network card IPv4 address" and it will probably be 192.168.254.1

okay, the possible problem might be the gateway address.

I can see from the above screenshot that the camera is still set to the local network gateway address (192.168.0.1) and this needs to be set to the NVR gateway address.

You can confirm the NVRs gateway by going to the NVR network menu where there should be an IP address labelled as something like "Internal network card IPv4 address" and it will probably be 192.168.254.1

Upon checking NVR network settings, its set to DHCP (I read somewhere DHCP may not be the best?) and gateway is 192.168.0.1, matching the cameras gateway

NVR IP settings.PNG

Yes, that is the correct local network gateway for when you are adding cameras from the local network, but if you are plugging the cameras into the PoE ports on the NVR they need to be set to the NVRs subnet gateway. It should look something like the below screenshot and should be found under the DNS server settings:

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 13.06.20.png

If you don't see this information then please just try setting the camera's gateway to 192.168.254.1 and try connecting the camera to the PoE ports again.

Back