01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Retrospective VCA Searching Not Working on my DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P NVR?

MarcF

Hi All,

I'm running a DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P

Previously when checking a camera I have been able to go into playback (this is on a browser, for example Chrome, but browser doesn't matter) and I was able to set a camera to single playback mode, click the event type button and select Intrusion Detection and draw a box on the feed. This would then put markers for any intrusion into that area. This was ideal for checking things outside my usual intrusion or line detection.

At some point in the last few months, this has stopped working. I have updated all the cameras to the latest firmware versions and also the NVR. I have confirmed "Enable Dual VCA" is selected both on the back end (the NVR) and on the front end (the cameras). I have tried Chrome, Edge and IE. I have restarted all cameras and the NVR.

But there are still no markers?

Anyone know why the retrospective VCA no longer works? It was an amazingly useful feature.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 252
Solution
OK, I've sorted it. Thanks for the heads up on checking it on the NVR not the web interface.

I was enabling and disabling via the web interface under the section Video>Display Info on Screen then enabling "Enable Dual-VCA"

I found an option on the actual NVR under Record>Advanced
The option was "Save Camera VCA Data" and it was set to disabled. That option doesn't appear in the web interface.
I've enabled it and now everything is working again! yay!
I have confirmed "Enable Dual VCA" is selected both on the back end (the NVR) and on the front end (the cameras)
You only need to set this using the NVR - when you apply the setting in the NVR it switches it on in the camera.

I have updated all the cameras to the latest firmware versions and also the NVR.
On some models, the latest firmware disables saving of VCA data, so even if you have Dual VCA enabled and the camera sends that data to the NVR - the NVR discards it. If you're running V4 EUI firmware on a K series, that could be it. From memory the setting to re enable it is not available via the web browser - it has to be set using the menu with a locally connected monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I was originally running v3 EUI firmware on my K series, just not the latest version and it was working find on that.

Sadly I've tried to put my NVR back to the same firmware when it was working, and it didn't resolve it.

Upvote 0
I was originally running v3 EUI firmware on my K series, just not the latest version and it was working find on that.

Sadly I've tried to put my NVR back to the same firmware when it was working, and it didn't resolve it.
It’s possible that it was disabled when you updated (as that is the default option on that firmware) and has not re enabled when you downgraded (as the enable/disable option wasn’t available on V3). EUI is Enhanced User Interface and only applies to V4. I could only recommend you bring your NVR up to the latest version and look for that option once you have. You should update first to the newest V3 firmware, then the earliest V4 firmware before finally updating to the latest version.

Upvote 0
OK, I've sorted it. Thanks for the heads up on checking it on the NVR not the web interface.

I was enabling and disabling via the web interface under the section Video>Display Info on Screen then enabling "Enable Dual-VCA"

The option was "Save Camera VCA Data" and it was set to disabled. That option doesn't appear in the web interface.

Upvote 0
Solution

That’s great. I knew the setting was in the NVR but could not remember exactly where. Glad it’s sorted for you.

Upvote 0
That’s great. I knew the setting was in the NVR but could not remember exactly where. Glad it’s sorted for you.
I'm new here, I have a similar VCA problem: The NVR is DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B), the firmware is v3.4.100 Build 180310 (when I check update it says this is the "latest"). I have 4 cameras on continuous recording, each one with line-crossing and intrusion activated. "Motion" works fine on all 4 cameras but VCA on the most important one (driveway) has stopped working for about 2 weeks now. The other 3 show VCA most of the time, although even those occasionally miss something. Any suggestions please?

Upvote 0
I should have added that I have access to the system on my iPhone, where it's even more important tfor me to control the VCA recordings.

Upvote 0
I'm new here, I have a similar VCA problem: The NVR is DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B), the firmware is v3.4.100 Build 180310 (when I check update it says this is the "latest"). I have 4 cameras on continuous recording, each one with line-crossing and intrusion activated. "Motion" works fine on all 4 cameras but VCA on the most important one (driveway) has stopped working for about 2 weeks now. The other 3 show VCA most of the time, although even those occasionally miss something. Any suggestions please?

The first thing to note is that the firmware check rarely if ever works and will always say latest even though it isn't. The latest firmware for your model is on the page linked below - it's 4.30.085:

It would be best to also update your cameras firmware to the latest versions as well once you've done the NVR. If you list the model number(s) and current firmware version, we'll know if there are any updates. Those details are visible if you go into the menu on the locally connected monitor/TV, right click and select Menu then the Camera page.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the info. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a novice so would appreciate a little guidance here. How do I update the NVR firmware when the system says it's the "latest"? Also, where exactly do I find the firmware info on the camera page? Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the info. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a novice so would appreciate a little guidance here. How do I update the NVR firmware when the system says it's the "latest"? Also, where exactly do I find the firmware info on the camera page? Thanks in advance :)
Download the file from the link and unzip it if necessary - you'll have a file called digicap.dav when done. From there theres two ways to do it:

1 - Connect to your NVR with a web browser, login with admin and your password, then go into configuration > maintenance. Click on Select File under Upgrade, navigate to the digicap.dav file you've downloaded, then click upgrade. Image attached (yours will look a little different due to the firmware being older)

2 - You can pop the downloaded file onto a USB stick and plug that into the NVR. Then go to the maintenance menu on the NVR and update from there.

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 11.40.10.png

Upvote 0
Also, where exactly do I find the firmware info on the camera page?
If you click on the camera page within the menu you'll see the list of cameras. At the end of each line it'll give you the model and firmware version. You may need to scroll across and stretch the columns. Don't include the serial number - just DS-2CD2346G2-IU for example and the firmware.

Upvote 0
Download the file from the link and unzip it if necessary - you'll have a file called digicap.dav when done. From there theres two ways to do it:

1 - Connect to your NVR with a web browser, login with admin and your password, then go into configuration > maintenance. Click on Select File under Upgrade, navigate to the digicap.dav file you've downloaded, then click upgrade. Image attached (yours will look a little different due to the firmware being older)

2 - You can pop the downloaded file onto a USB stick and plug that into the NVR. Then go to the maintenance menu on the NVR and update from there.

View attachment 6390
Thank you very much JB, I'll try that later when I have some time,

Upvote 0
If you click on the camera page within the menu you'll see the list of cameras. At the end of each line it'll give you the model and firmware version. You may need to scroll across and stretch the columns. Don't include the serial number - just DS-2CD2346G2-IU for example and the firmware.
Thank you, I didn't realise you could scroll across! All cameras are DS-2CD2345FWD-12018 V5.6.2 build 190701 :)

Upvote 0
Thank you, I didn't realise you could scroll across! All cameras are DS-2CD2345FWD-12018 V5.6.2 build 190701 :)
So those are G1 platform cameras and the latest version is 5.6.6 available at the bottom of the page here:

Sort out your NVR first. Be careful when you download the file as they are always called digicap.dav and it's easy to get them mixed up! (you can rename them)

The cameras have to be updated by navigating to their individual webpage. If you login to your NVR with a web browser using its IP address as previously mentioned, you want to make sure "Virtual Host" is enabled in the configuration (has to be activated while logged in from web browser as it's not available on the TV/monitor menu output). You'll find the setting in Configuration > Network > Advanced > Other as shown below:
Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.37.03.png

Once that's done (if it's not already) there will be links to each cameras web menu from the Configuration > System > Camera Management page as below:

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 13.40.48.png

Clicking on the link will get you to the camera menu. Login with the same username and password for the NVR and the firmware upgrade can be done from the maintenance page there in the same manner as the camera. You would then repeat for each individual camera.

Upvote 0
So those are G1 platform cameras and the latest version is 5.6.6 available at the bottom of the page here:

Sort out your NVR first. Be careful when you download the file as they are always called digicap.dav and it's easy to get them mixed up! (you can rename them)

The cameras have to be updated by navigating to their individual webpage. If you login to your NVR with a web browser using its IP address as previously mentioned, you want to make sure "Virtual Host" is enabled in the configuration (has to be activated while logged in from web browser as it's not available on the TV/monitor menu output). You'll find the setting in Configuration > Network > Advanced > Other as shown below:
View attachment 6392

Once that's done (if it's not already) there will be links to each cameras web menu from the Configuration > System > Camera Management page as below:

View attachment 6393

Clicking on the link will get you to the camera menu. Login with the same username and password for the NVR and the firmware upgrade can be done from the maintenance page there in the same manner as the camera. You would then repeat for each individual camera.
JB that's so nice of you to give me all that info. I'll try to digest it overnight and, as you've been so helpful, I might pick your brains again in the morning! At 80 it's not all that easy to deal with IT problems..... Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
JB that's so nice of you to give me all that info. I'll try to digest it overnight and, as you've been so helpful, I might pick your brains again in the morning! At 80 it's not all that easy to deal with IT problems..... Thanks again :)
No problem.

Upvote 0
As mentioned earlier, I have a NVR (DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B), and today I upgraded the firmware to v4.30.085 from v3.4.100. Now I can’t find VCA anywhere anymore, and I have 2 of my 4 cameras showing “No Resource”. Also there doesn’t appear to be any “Event” shown anymore on playback. And my phone still only shows events on an irregular basis, with nothing at all for the driveway camera.
Any help gratefully appreciated, thank you.

Upvote 0
As mentioned earlier, I have a NVR (DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B), and today I upgraded the firmware to v4.30.085 from v3.4.100. Now I can’t find VCA anywhere anymore, and I have 2 of my 4 cameras showing “No Resource”. Also there doesn’t appear to be any “Event” shown anymore on playback. And my phone still only shows events on an irregular basis, with nothing at all for the driveway camera.
Any help gratefully appreciated, thank you.

Sw you're on the latest firmware - you need to bring up the menu on your monitor/TV. Then:

1 - On the settings page you will see an option that's marked "Enhanced SVC" and it is enabled. Switch that off and it should fix the issue with the cameras showing "No Resource"

2 - In the Record > Advanced menu you'll see an option for "Save Camera VCA Data" that's disabled. Enable that and you should be sorted.

Upvote 0
Back