01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

POE port problems with my new Hikvision M-series NVR?

John A

I think I may be onto a problem with my new DVR M-series having moved from the I-series, perhaps someone can help?
All IPCs on the inbuilt POE are unstable, whereas if I move them to a POE switch seem to work fine.
I wonder if the power is set too low - I will keep swapping and trying new things.

Hi John,
Are these standard fixed cameras?
e.g. that consume low POE Watts.

If you could let us know some camera model numbers that you're seeing this issue with, we can test here and see if we see similar, thanks.

Hi John,

If you could let us know some camera model numbers that you're seeing this issue with, we can test here and see if we see similar, thanks.
Hello Phil, Yes all were ok on the I-series. I will make a list, and perhaps move them all to a separate POE switch to experiment. the most stable seems to be the low res door cam.

Hello Phil, Yes all were ok on the I-series. I will make a list, and perhaps move them all to a separate POE switch to experiment. the most stable seems to be the low res door cam.
These were all that were on there plus a door cam:
DS-2CD2387G2-LU
DS-2CD2625FWD-IZS
DS-2CD2T47G1-L

I have now moved two of them to a daisy-chained switch and seem good now.

I have only 2 cams left on the DVR -
DS-2CD2387G2-LU
And door cam - CORRECTION - Door cam was not on there(DS-KV6113-WPE1)
Just DS-2CD2387G2-LU and DS-2CD2T47G1-L now - both unstable.
I'm going to check the mains supply now.....
Update- power supply is good.

Right now I have 6 ICPs on separate switch working beautifully -
The two still onboard are miserable.

Just tried individual IPCs by disconnecting all cables - just in case I have mouse damage on cables.
Still the same. I guess there is no way to test the POE channel output besides voltage?

Last edited:
Any feedback from Hikvision regarding the POE port problem I'm having? I have been using just two IPCs for the last month on it which still cause nothing but problems?

Hi John,
We haven't seen anybody else report similar issues yet.
It could be that your NVR has a fault.
Or a problem with the cameras that cause the issue.
Or perhaps the cable to them.

When you say unstable, what issue do you see please?

When you say a daisy-chained switch - is the switch added to your home LAN?
Or is it wired into one of the NVR's camera POE ports please?

Any feedback from Hikvision regarding the POE port problem I'm having? I have been using just two IPCs for the last month on it which still cause nothing but problems?
I have 9 on my 16 channel M series and haven't seen any issues/disconnects. Is there any clue in the NVR local menu? When accessed from the web menu you can't see, but in the local menu - Camera > POE Settings > POE Power Configuration it will show the usage in real time with a 5 second refresh. Actual power for mine fluctuates between 2.2 & 5.2 Watts per channel (mainly 2347/2387's). It also displays Actual Power total and Remaining.

Hi John,
We haven't seen anybody else report similar issues yet.
It could be that your NVR has a fault.
Or a problem with the cameras that cause the issue.
Or perhaps the cable to them.

When you say unstable, what issue do you see please?

When you say a daisy-chained switch - is the switch added to your home LAN?
Or is it wired into one of the NVR's camera POE ports please?
Hello Phil,

The stability problem is when using the unit POE, the cams slow to a stop - then they speed up the catch up going by the clock but the more cams I connect the worse it gets, they then disconnect and come back. I can literally move the cams to the POE network switch connected to unit via the LAN port and everything is perfect. I did use an I series previous without any issues. I am going to look local as JB suggested today, have to bring a screen into the loft where all the equipment is. I am always open to the idea that I'm missing something here but I'd not have bought the POE version knowing the agro this would cause.

Thank you for your suggestions

@John A. Just a thought...You mention that you move them to your LAN and everything is fine.

When the cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NVR, how are they addressed and what is the address of the NVR PoE network? I don't suppose you mistakenly set the NVR PoE port network to match your LAN, as that would be an issue. The PoE network ports on the NVR and its associated cameras MUST be on their own network. By default that network is 192.168.254.xxx where the NVR itself can be accessed at 192.168.254.1 (if a PC is connected to spare PoE port) All cameras connected via the PoE ports must also be in the same range (if using plug and play the NVR addresses them sequentially at the time of connection beginning at 192.168.254.2)

@John A. Just a thought...You mention that you move them to your LAN and everything is fine.

When the cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NVR, how are they addressed and what is the address of the NVR PoE network? I don't suppose you mistakenly set the NVR PoE port network to match your LAN, as that would be an issue. The PoE network ports on the NVR and its associated cameras MUST be on their own network. By default that network is 192.168.254.xxx where the NVR itself can be accessed at 192.168.254.1 (if a PC is connected to spare PoE port) All cameras connected via the PoE ports must also be in the same range (if using plug and play the NVR addresses them sequentially at the time of connection beginning at 192.168.254.2)
Thanks JB,

Yes, it's very painful moving them from one to the other because of this. The subnet addresses don't always default within the cameras themselves and will not work at all on either. I have one at the moment I'm messing with which will not move over to the unit sub address, yet another did easy. Depends on the cam, I tend to tick the DHCP in SADP hoping not to physically reset the cam - only ever had to do it once.

I have move two back over to the Unit POE now - I am then going to stare at the local screen and see if there is a difference between the LAN and direct monitor.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 113848.jpg

Thanks JB,

Yes, it's very painful moving them from one to the other because of this. The subnet addresses don't always default within the cameras themselves and will not work at all on either. I have one at the moment I'm messing with which will not move over to the unit sub address, yet another did easy. Depends on the cam, I tend to tick the DHCP in SADP hoping not to physically reset the cam - only ever had to do it once.

I have move two back over to the Unit POE now - I am then going to stare at the local screen and see if there is a difference between the LAN and direct monitor.
If the channel is left programmed as Plug and Play, it will generally default the camera to the required settings when you plug the camera in (if the admin passwords match it does this whether you like it or not)

My preferred method is to set it up like this and it should be done with the cameras disconnected from the PoE ports:

1. Manually program each camera IP address and admin password...nothing else. I use a PoE adaptor but as you have a PoE switch use that. Set camera 1 to 192.168.254.101, camera 2 to 192.168.254.102 and so on. Set just the IP address and the admin password, nothing else, no need to touch the gateway even if it appears wrong.
  2. In the NVR, edit each PoE channel. Change auto to Manual, enter the IP address for each channel as above. If your NVR uses the same admin password you can just check the box for 'use channel default'. Again no other changes needed. Click apply. After 10 seconds or so the entry on the camera page will update showing the correct address.
  3. Once you've programmed each channel - plug the camera into the correct port.
The reason I do it this way is that it's easier to swap out cameras later. If I replace 'Camera 5' with a different model, I just pre-program it to 192.168.254.105 and set its password then physically swap the camera - back online with the same address .

FYI - the reason you set up the port with the camera disconnected...is as I mentioned in the first paragraph. If you were to have program the camera with an IP address and password, then plug it into a channel set as plug and play on an NVR using the same password, it'll just fail to connect fro a short time then reprogram the camera the camera IP address undoing what you did in step 1 - really annoying.

If the channel is left programmed as Plug and Play, it will generally default the camera to the required settings when you plug the camera in (if the admin passwords match it does this whether you like it or not)

My preferred method is to set it up like this and it should be done with the cameras disconnected from the PoE ports:

1. Manually program each camera IP address and admin password...nothing else. I use a PoE adaptor but as you have a PoE switch use that. Set camera 1 to 192.168.254.101, camera 2 to 192.168.254.102 and so on. Set just the IP address and the admin password, nothing else, no need to touch the gateway even if it appears wrong.
  2. In the NVR, edit each PoE channel. Change auto to Manual, enter the IP address for each channel as above. If your NVR uses the same admin password you can just check the box for 'use channel default'. Again no other changes needed. Click apply. After 10 seconds or so the entry on the camera page will update showing the correct address.
  3. Once you've programmed each channel - plug the camera into the correct port.
The reason I do it this way is that it's easier to swap out cameras later. If I replace 'Camera 5' with a different model, I just pre-program it to 192.168.254.105 and set its password then physically swap the camera - back online with the same address .

FYI - the reason you set up the port with the camera disconnected...is as I mentioned in the first paragraph. If you were to have program the camera with an IP address and password, then plug it into a channel set as plug and play on an NVR using the same password, it'll just fail to connect fro a short time then reprogram the camera the camera IP address undoing what you did in step 1 - really annoying.
Never thought of using the switch to program, luckily it is a managed switch - Thanks
I will get back on the other issue, well see if there is a difference locally.

Update - The symptoms are evident in live view even local - HDMI and playback. The more IPCs I connect, the worse it gets. Power consumption appears normal - I did try long line setting too. Depressing!

Update - The symptoms are evident in live view even local - HDMI and playback. The more IPCs I connect, the worse it gets. Power consumption appears normal - I did try long line setting too. Depressing!
Out of interest, what video settings do you have on the cameras? (though if something were amiss it should be the same when on the LAN). I'm clutching at straws to think of something that could cause the issues that you're having, other than a faulty machine. That would be a concern as another user on here with a 77xx M series has reported one with a faulty PSU recently.

Out of interest, what video settings do you have on the cameras? (though if something were amiss it should be the same when on the LAN). I'm clutching at straws to think of something that could cause the issues that you're having, other than a faulty machine. That would be a concern as another user on here with a 77xx M series has reported one with a faulty PSU recently.
I appreciate any ideas, even straws. I don't want to send back a good unit and look a fool.
I have been changing frame rate, bitrate, and in desperation picture size. I seem to get away with more in substreams though the timer still slows and plays catch up after. I will tomorrow disconnect one IPC at a time(only 4 connected now), wondering if a cable is disrupting signals - I think I did this a month ago but better try again. PSU is one of the biggest causes of instability on PCs, That I know!

Thank you JB

I did notice that all four HDs are now on the same power lead, which I thought was cheap. Wonder if I move them onto a separate PSU, I have a spare 500w.

Adding to the evidence, I have a drive fail too. I removed it and am running on three - could be that 4 corrupted the data.

Last edited:
I tried just the HDs on a separate PC PSU - no difference, but is it on the same rail as the mainboard POEs?
I'm going though the IPcs again one by one however I think it might be time to have the unit checked out unless anyone wants to send me a M-series PSU I can try?

Hi John,

Hi Phil,

I've just put the four IPCs back on my old I series(had it all reset and boxed, glad I kept it). No problems at all.
It might be time for me to give up and send it back for you to look at!

Regards

Hi John,

I've just sent an email to the address that you've registered/ordered with about sending this unit back for us to look at.

Sorry about the problems you're having!

Hi John,

I've just sent an email to the address that you've registered/ordered with about sending this unit back for us to look at.

Sorry about the problems you're having!
Thank you Kyle, I hope you find something. As I mentioned in the emails - I will check hard drives before sending, I don't want to be caught out there either.

Back