01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 64ch Decoding Capability?

Lectrician

Hi.

What does the "Decoding Capability" mean on the spec for the 64ch Hikvision NVR mean?

It says:

Audio & Video Decoding Capability: 3-ch@12 MP (30fps), 5-ch@8 MP (30fps), 6-ch@6 MP (30fps), 10-ch@4 MP (30fps), 20-ch@1080p (30 fps).

If I am connecting 6MP cameras to it, does this mean it can only record 6 channels at a time, so cannot use 24/7 recording? Or I would have to reduce the fps to silly figures?
I'll be honest, I have used 32ch Qvis systems in the past, and these can record happily all 32 cameras at once. The last large job was two 32ch Qvis. I am looking at another larger install, and would prefer a single recorder. Am I confusing myself here? is there any point in a 64ch recorder when it can't record 64 channels?

Hi @Lectrician

See point 2 of my response in the below forum thread:

Decoding capability does not affect the number of cameras that the NVR records, it only relates to live view & playback (e.g. 6ch@6MP [30fps] means that you can live view 6 x 6MP cameras at the same time, the more cameras you try to view at the same time the more reduced the stream resolution will become). The 64-channel NVR will record 64 cameras, as long the bandwidth used by those 64 cameras does not exceed the incoming bandwidth limit of the NVR.

Back