01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cameras on same subnet?

CV05

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry in advance. I know this is a common question but I can't seem to make mine work.

I have a DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P NVR which is on my network @ 192.168.70.50. Attached to the NVR POE ports are 3 HIK cameras in the 192.168.20.X range. My router is 192.168.70.1.

I want to set up alert emails which I have done via the NVR but the pictures that are emailed are so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see anything! After some research I discovered that the events which are sent from the camera when configured are full quality. The problem is I can't get the cameras to send the email and I'm certain it's just a networking issue.

I have tried resetting the cameras and logging into them and manually allocating them an IP on my subnet but they don't come online.

Is there a guide someone can point me to or give me or step me through the correct settings?

Hi, was that a typo, or are your cameras in a different subnet to your NVR?

You mentioned NVR IP is 192.168.70.50, but your cameras are in the 192.168.20 subnet?

Last edited:
Hi, was that a typo, or are your cameras in a different subnet to your NVR?

You mentioned NVR IP is 192.168.70.50, but your cameras are in the 192.168.20 subnet?
Hi that's correct. I thought that maybe the POE ports were a different nic than the single local/wan port, I think the cameras arrived with the 192.168.20.X subnet. If I set the cameras to DHCP they don't get an IP in my own subnet.

Ah ok - ive not used an NVR with integrated poe ports before, im a bit old school, so I have cameras connected to POE switches in their own vlan.

From a networking perspective, how would your cameras in one subnet be able to get to the other? The cameras must have a default gateway in the 192.168.20 subnet (I assume 192.168.20.1) which doesnt exist on your network I assume, so they cant get out to the internet.

Im guessing (and others will have way more knowledge than me) that the network these cameras connect to on the NVR isn't routable so cant get anywhere else? I read a post on this forum from a while back which was asking similar...

Thanks for your help mate. I've set a few systems up, some with separate poe switches and in regards to networking it's definitely a lot more simple that way. The only problem I've come across if you do it that way is that often the LAN port of the NVR has a small amount of bandwidth eg 40mbps and can't handle all the cameras coming in via that port.

That thread that you linked to makes sense but I'm sure I have also read other threads where it works. I'm pretty new to all this as well so as you say maybe someone will chime in with some advice.

Thanks again!

No worries.

Just one other thing I read…

The NVR PoE-connected cameras must have the NVR PoE interface IP address set as their default gateway.
Usually 192.168.254.1
This is so the camera has a route out through the NVR to the LAN, it has to be in the same address range as the camera IP address.
And to inhibit the NVR from changing the camera gateway back to a non-working value (usually it sets the same gateway as is set for the NVR LAN interface) the NVR PoE port should be set to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug&Play'.

I would download the Hikvision SADP tool.
Then, change your laptops ethernet port IP to an address in the same subnet. Plug laptop into the back of the NVR.
See if you can see the cameras in the SADP tool and you should then be able to set them to DHCP.

Thanks for the SADP suggestion, I'll try it out this weekend and report back.

I've tried everything and I just don't think it's possible to have anything on those POE ports and internet functionality at the same time. I've gone back to setting up alerts through the NVR and putting up with the miniscule picture that the alert attaches with it. Down the track I'll buy a poe switch and just run it so I can run them all on the same subnet.

The Hanwha NVR's I've used have two nics as well but the backend allows you to choose which one is the gateway and if you like you can plug the wan into one of the poe ports as well as the cameras and everything stays on the same subnet. Shame this Hikvision doesn't have the same functionality.

Back