01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Viewing cctv via powerline adapters

Andrew Power

Hi

My Hikvision dvr is currently wired to my sky router via a Ethernet cable and I am able to view the cameras via the app. However I was wondering if it is possible to view the images on my TV which is in another room via 2 powerline adaptors which I have set up.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to view the cameras on your TV via a web browser period, regardless of whether you use a powerline adaptor or not. Most smart TVs are not compatible with the web browser plugin required in order to view the stream.

However, if you're able to connect a VGA or HDMI cable from your TV to your NVR, you can view it on the TV just fine.

Otherwise though, Hikvision devices have no issue with using a powerline adaptor provided the adaptors maximum throughput is enough to support the bandwidth required by your devices which for most homes is by far more than enough.

Thanks for that I understand that I can't view via a web browser, my NVR is in a different room to the tv and both power line adapters only have Ethernet ports, the only Ethernet port on the NVR is connected to the sky router. Is it possible for a RJ45 Ethernet Splitter to be used. Otherwise the only ports available on the NVR are a HDMI and a VGA port.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to view the cameras on your TV via a web browser period, regardless of whether you use a powerline adaptor or not. Most smart TVs are not compatible with the web browser plugin required in order to view the stream.

However, if you're able to connect a VGA or HDMI cable from your TV to your NVR, you can view it on the TV just fine.

Otherwise though, Hikvision devices have no issue with using a powerline adaptor provided the adaptors maximum throughput is enough to support the bandwidth required by your devices which for most homes is by far more than enough.

Thanks for that I understand that I can't view via a web browser, my NVR is in a different room to the tv and both power line adapters only have Ethernet ports, the only Ethernet port on the NVR is connected to the sky router. Is it possible for a RJ45 Ethernet Splitter to be used. Otherwise the only ports available on the NVR are a HDMI and a VGA port.

I use a flat hdmi cable available on eBay up to 15m long to connect the DVR to a spare hdmi port on the Tv. Being flat, they can be hidden under carpets.

Back