01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Local: Abnormal Shutdown Error

I'm afraid I don't have an answer.
But can confirm that I have seen similar before:
One very competent installer saw same.
We supplied a replacement unit (and a new HDD).
It behaved the same.
He ran the original unit at his office - it exhibited no problems.
Therefore, it seemed site related.
It was installed at a large home - he tried relocating it and powering it from a different consumer unit - same.
We got Hikvision Tech Support to access remotely, investigate and collect logs.

We never resolved it.
A UPS maybe?

Thank you Phil, If anyone else has managed to resolve the issue please shout up. I think there is a link with the other devices within the household that is causing the conflict.

Kind regards

I had the same problem, I replaced every extension lead through out the house with new belkin surge protectors, replaced the kettle type cable to my nvr with a new higher quality cable, replaced the network cable from the router to the nvr, bought a belkin 1 socket surge protector to plug the nvr power cable into before putting it into the wall. Upgraded all cameras and the nvr firmwares. No idea what sorted it but I never have a drop anymore. It’s rock solid.

I sold my old nvr on eBay and bought the new 7608NI model thinking it was that, the new one had the same problem so I knew it was something to do with my house.

One thing you could do it unplug everything in your house but the fridge of course when you next go out for the day and see how it is. So the nvr will be the only item on the network and the only 3 items using power in the house would be the fridge, router and nvr. Start from there to try and find the issue. I found it highly annoying so going to extreme measures that I suggested may find something. Hope you find out the problem soon, I feel your pain.

Thank you so much for the reply, really helpful to know we are on the right lines. It also gives me other options to try.

cheers

Hi Paul. Did you change the power supply or just the lead? I have DS 2cd 2385 g1-i cameras. With 3 connected the nvr works absolutely fine but with 4 connected it shutsdown. I notice the power supply gets really warm with all 4 connected. Also do you have any powerline adapters in the house?
Regards.

I only changed the power cable and not the power supply unit. I don’t have any power line adapters.
If you have found that the 4th camera is the issue I would disconnect 1 of the ones that work then put that 4th in its place. So you can see if it’s the actual camera or the 4 cameras causing some issue.
Also try using a different network cable on the 4th to rule that out.

Hi Paul. Did you change the power supply or just the lead? I have DS 2cd 2385 g1-i cameras. With 3 connected the nvr works absolutely fine but with 4 connected it shutsdown. I notice the power supply gets really warm with all 4 connected. Also do you have any powerline adapters in the house?
Regards.

Is that with ANY three connected, or cameras 1,2 & 3? It may be that it's caused by one specific camera or link. I'd be inclined to try it with different combinations of three to rule this out. Read on......

I have the issue on an I series recorder (I'm an installer) and am working through it at the moment. I've had 9 cameras running without issue for months on this NVR. A couple of days ago I replaced a 3MP Darkfighter with a 8MP AcuSense G2. This replacement was a known good camera that had previously been installed elsewhere on the house, then removed and stored for a month or two (I switch cameras out regularly to test new models etc). I started getting the issue within an hour or so. So far I've done the following:
  • Checked the incoming bandwidth - I'm only using 70 of 160 meg so no issues there
  • Checked the PoE - only using around 30W total so no issues there and nothing unusual on a per port basis
  • Checked the connections visually and tested the cable - all ok (existing working link)
  • Checked the hard disks - one was reporting bad sectors. Removed and deleted the disk - problem remains
  • Factory defaulted NVR and reprogrammed after fresh flash of latest firmware - problem remains
  • Factory defaulted camera and reprogrammed after installing newer firmware (released a couple of days ago) - problem remains
  • Connected the camera to a different PoE port and re configured as needed - problem remains
  • Connected the camera directly to the NVR on a short patch, eliminating the existing link completely........no Abnormal Shutdown for 24 hours
Although the cable is only 20 metres, has had a camera connected to it without issue for four years, has been tested (as well as it can be without a TDR certifier), the issue is now pointing me to the link. The next steps in order when this thunderstorm passes will be:
  • Re-terminate the link at both ends - very unlikely to resolve as I've fitted thousands over the years and the link is showing 8 pins connected
  • Replace the cable to the camera with a temporary one. Again I'm sure that the cable is undamaged. It's in plastic conduit for 90 percent of it's length and the remaining few metres to the NVR is visible

Last edited:
John, is it possible the cable was very marginal for some reason (damaged, poor connection at one end, etc.) and then switching to the 8MP camera increased the power consumption, or slightly increased the heat load, or something similar? That then exposed the marginal cable?

John, is it possible the cable was very marginal for some reason (damaged, poor connection at one end, etc.) and then switching to the 8MP camera increased the power consumption, or slightly increased the heat load, or something similar? That then exposed the marginal cable?

It is yeah - that's my thought at the moment. It looks perfect and tests ok but if one of the wires has twisted around within the sheath at the shoulder of the RJ45, it may have been nipped as it was crimped. Sometimes dependant on the cable - when you strip it to crimp, individual pairs don't separate out nicely.

My last resort will be some sort of ground issue. I can check that by using the existing link but keeping the camera isolated from its mount.

It is yeah - that's my thought at the moment. It looks perfect and tests ok but if one of the wires has twisted around within the sheath at the shoulder of the RJ45, it may have been nipped as it was crimped. Sometimes dependant on the cable - when you strip it to crimp, individual pairs don't separate out nicely.

My last resort will be some sort of ground issue. I can check that by using the existing link but keeping the camera isolated from its mount.

Well I re terminated both ends (though they were fine when I stripped them down) and had no issue for about 30 hours...then it failed again just now. I noticed in another post that Version 4.40.015 had just been released. On checking it seems that 4.40.010 has been removed from the portal and replaced with this update. I've updated and the first thing I've found is that the event "Local: Abnormal Shutdown" no longer exists as an event type in the log so going forward I'll be unable to filter for that specific event.

Thats one way of sorting the problem...if it can't be in the log then it can't have occurred

Just to add, I had this issue and tried pretty much everything listed here to no avail.

In the end, I returned it and got a replacement device which has been fine since.

Well I re terminated both ends (though they were fine when I stripped them down) and had no issue for about 30 hours...then it failed again just now. I noticed in another post that Version 4.40.015 had just been released. On checking it seems that 4.40.010 has been removed from the portal and replaced with this update. I've updated and the first thing I've found is that the event "Local: Abnormal Shutdown" no longer exists as an event type in the log so going forward I'll be unable to filter for that specific event.

Thats one way of sorting the problem...if it can't be in the log then it can't have occurred

That can't possibly be intentional on Hik's part. We have to have that fault code. Can you downgrade firmware a version or two?

That can't possibly be intentional on Hik's part. We have to have that fault code. Can you downgrade firmware a version or two?

It may be that "Abnormal Shutdown" has been split into more specific sub events as there seem to be a lot in the filter list that I haven't seen before. It could actually make it easier to diagnose if that's the case. I'd rather not downgrade as I'd be losing the one click human filter in smart playback that was introduced in 4.40.010

I posted a comment that my NVR worked fine with 3 cameras (which it did for 2 days) Following Paul's comment I changed cameras around and ended up getting the abnormal shutdown even on two cameras. I then put it back to the original 3 and now it performs the abnormal shutdown on those. What do we all have in common that's causing this???

Still cant resolve this. I have noticed on lots of occasions the shutdown occurs moments after another device (ie phone/tv) joins the network. I cannot re-create it so I'm thinking the NVR but have to do something at the same time. Any clues???

Back