01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision's 'new global strategy' #NoHikeyNoLikey

I still do not get the use-ip stance on this situation. Other UK sites seem to of carried on as they were and now stock the new HiWatch products. I will name a competitor to prove this, netview.

Why do they continue to supply Hik products(although v pricey)?

Any reseller who is complying with HikVision's new rules AND continuing to sell HikVision-branded products must only sell them to verified Trade installer customers. That is why you have to login and setup an account (prove you are a Trade installer) before you can see prices / make a purchase.

Well the first thing I notice on this forum is that there do seem to be an awful lot of end users....talking about things like motion detection on their doors and the like

Im not an end user - I earn a reasonable income installing hikvision cctv in places likes small restaurants etc , and all to often in my quotes I'm also forced to specify the type even model number of hikvision camera I intend to supply and install.
Frequently I mark this price up by 50 per cent or so - .
Plumbers electricians all trades usually mark up anything which is supplied and add on labour - in this way we can pay our rents / mortgages

But with an ever growing supply of "wholesalers" prepared to supply to end users , and end users being savvy enough to simply Google current prices it makes it harder for people like me who install them for a living to make good money.

More often than not some of my customers or potential customers prefer to buy themselves - maybe even from the likes of use ip and offer to pay someone like me peanuts to install them.

Sometimes of course they get caught out like a guy I was going to install for last week in Brighton.
He Thought he'd save some money - and cocked up by buying some Chinese firmware hik gear on ebay .... he then subsequently bought from me at a mark up and PayPal refunded him his original purchase.

Quite Frankley I think hikvision have made a good move - I'm expecting a lot less shop owners etc asking me just to install - whilst they themselves use the likes of use ip.

One of my old customers first bought from me a few years ago - then started 2 buy from use ip .... nów i don't hear anything from him.

It may well be when he needs more cameras in the future and finds it hard buying them - I'll start to hear from him instead and start making money from him once more myself.

I guess it will always be a struggle if customers cannot clearly see the value you add.

I can only see overall cost to end user increasing for Hik brand and overall market share shrinking.

Yes, end-users will in time find it harder and more expensive to purchase HikVision-branded cameras.
HikVision hope that end-users will switch to their HiWatch range.

Well the first thing I notice on this forum is that there do seem to be an awful lot of end users....talking about things like motion detection on their doors and the like

Im not an end user - I earn a reasonable income installing hikvision cctv in places likes small restaurants etc , and all to often in my quotes I'm also forced to specify the type even model number of hikvision camera I intend to supply and install.
Frequently I mark this price up by 50 per cent or so - .
Plumbers electricians all trades usually mark up anything which is supplied and add on labour - in this way we can pay our rents / mortgages

But with an ever growing supply of "wholesalers" prepared to supply to end users , and end users being savvy enough to simply Google current prices it makes it harder for people like me who install them for a living to make good money.

More often than not some of my customers or potential customers prefer to buy themselves - maybe even from the likes of use ip and offer to pay someone like me peanuts to install them.

Sometimes of course they get caught out like a guy I was going to install for last week in Brighton.
He Thought he'd save some money - and cocked up by buying some Chinese firmware hik gear on ebay .... he then subsequently bought from me at a mark up and PayPal refunded him his original purchase.

Quite Frankley I think hikvision have made a good move - I'm expecting a lot less shop owners etc asking me just to install - whilst they themselves use the likes of use ip.

One of my old customers first bought from me a few years ago - then started 2 buy from use ip .... nów i don't hear anything from him.

It may well be when he needs more cameras in the future and finds it hard buying them - I'll start to hear from him instead and start making money from him once more myself.

I personally find this a ridiculous stand point as i see this all the time in my line of work.

You make a living, charging people over the odds for CCTV products?. When people call you out on this you complain?

Just about every industry is open to this sort of behaviour and I see no reason why CCTV installers should have it any different and I don't understand why Hikvision has taken this route. I'm a professional photographer and I'd don't go around complaining to camera shops selling £35,000 cameras to amateurs because I need to pay my mortgage. If you wanted a new website for your company and the web developer wanted some pictures of installations, would you have me as a professional or use pictures you'd done yourself to save some money?

Do a better job than the DIYer, better service, support, first grade finish and add value to your product by going the extra mile is the best way to have a successful business. Charging over inflated prices for product who's costs are easily investigated is not. Your labour charge should reflect your ability and professionalism, not what extra you make on the product you sell.

Back