01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP (Newbie questions....)

AndyCliffe

Hello,

I currently run 3 Arlo cameras around the outside of my house but want to up grade to something a little more capable. I bought a reolink RLC-420 which is just terrible in terms of motion detection. you get what you pay for! Should have just stumped up the cash for something good in the first place, but its going back and after a lot more reading I'm almost settled on the Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP turret camera, but i wondered if anyone could help me with a couple of questions please?
I plan to build this up over time, so wanted to install a single camera with an SD card to see how it goes and replace the Arlos month by month. Budget is tight...
Long periods of recording is not really needed (weeks at a time) even if it was good for a few days on the SD card that would be fine, and 6 FPS on 265+ compression should be ok on a 128GB SD card for a few days if my maths are correct... We live on a small estate and there's issues monthly with people trying cars doors at night, and fishing letter boxes for keys. If something does happen at night we have a community Facebook group which gets notified by one of the residents and we all rush to check our cameras and send footage to the police, who seem to be loving the neighbourhoods surveillance systems!

Anyway, my questions:
Is it possible to run the Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP on an SD card and still make use of line crossing and intrusion detection or do you need the NVR for that? I think its possible with just the SD card but wanted to confirm.
Also, is it possible to record 24/7 direct to the SD card? obviously if it fills up it will overwrite itself I presume? You can't do this with the Reolinks....

What I wanted to do was have line crossing and intrusion then trigger an event which sends a notification to me and my wife (iPhone app) and the event noted in surveillance centre so we can make use of the smart search function so we can just scroll straight to the event to see what it was.
At the very least, if 24/7 recording isn't possible to the SD, then I wanted it to just record the event to SD card, and send the notifications.
in time I do plan to add another 2 of the same cameras and maybe an NVR in the future.

I've read almost everything I can, and think that this should all be possible but just wanted to confirm I'm not delusional!

PoE isn't an issue, I have most of the rooms in the house wired for Cat5e and a number of PoE switches that i can run them off.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hi Andy:

Is it possible to run the Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP on an SD card and still make use of line crossing and intrusion detection or do you need the NVR for that? I think its possible with just the SD card but wanted to confirm.
Yes, you can do as you say.

Also, is it possible to record 24/7 direct to the SD card? obviously if it fills up it will overwrite itself I presume?
Yes, that's the default - to automatically overwrite the oldest recordings.

I'd recommend that you record continuously, and use Hik-Connect (the portal and the App) and set up Push Notifications to your phone.
My preference, for multi-camera systems, is still to use an NVR - access the NVR to access anything; Live video, recorded, multi-view, etc.

Thats excellent, thank you Phil. Just sending back this Reolink turret and I'll order the DS-2CD2345FWD-I.

I've just bought a couple of the same cameras and will have a similar setup to the OP.

I run smartthings in the house and it would be really useful if these alerts could call it. Is there any way to hook up to call a web service or even a remote service like IFTTT on these cameras?

That entirely depends on the email provider and IFTTT I suppose. l can email myself at work and it takes a minute to receive it because it has to bounce round a few servers in France and China and back again... should be instant, but our it system sucks. the events would be sent instantly though, whether it’s email or push notifications.

Back