01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Same model, different years the same or different?

terran

Hi everyone,

I've just received two hikvision ip cameras DS-2CD238-L(2.8MM)C but there are some slight differences between them.

Both cameras have the same model number everything except fabrication date, one is made in 03-2022 and the other one in 09-2023. There are some differences at the lens and at the base.
I've just unboxed them but didn't powered them up/activated them.

My question is if you think the newer one may come with some improvements over the older one as it's one year and a half between them. I've got them locally so I can send the 2022 one back for a replacement easily.

What would you advice me to do? What do you think? Thanks.

Attachments

• cams.jpg
    cams.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 12
Hi @terran

Is "DS-2CD238-L" the full model number for both of these cameras? Is this exactly the model number printed on the camera labels?

Hi @terran

Is "DS-2CD238-L" the full model number for both of these cameras? Is this exactly the model number printed on the camera labels?
Yes, as I said above. "Both cameras have the same model number everything except fabrication date, one is made in 03-2022 and the other one in 09-2023."

Now I've noticed that I did not write the model number completely
DS-2CD2387G2-L (C)

So I've ordered locally (europe) from a store (not ebay, aliexpres, amazon etc) two DS-2CD2387G2-L 2.8mm (C) cameras and they came with identical boxes, code, model, except for the aesthetic differences and different manufacturing dates, the difference between them being one and a half years.
For this reason I don't know what to do with them and I thought I'd ask here.

I wonder if the newer model would have some improvements compared to the older produced model.

Thanks @terran

Are you able to plug both cameras in and confirm the firmware versions each camera is currently using?

Can you also log in to each camera with a browser and under Configuration > System > System Settings > Basic Information confirm the "Firmware Version Property" of each camera?

Thanks @terran

Are you able to plug both cameras in and confirm the firmware versions each camera is currently using?

Can you also log in to each camera with a browser and under Configuration > System > System Settings > Basic Information confirm the "Firmware Version Property" of each camera?
I'll do that later today. I didn't do it yet, probably the older one has an older firmware but does that matter? As firmware can be upgraded tot the latest version available. I was wondering if the newer version had some improvements on the hardware side.

As far as we are aware, if both of these cameras are exactly the same models, then no matter when they were built there shouldn't be significant hardware differences between them.

This is the reason we want you to check the firmware and the "Firmware Version Property" because we would only expect to see the physical differences you are showing above if one camera was a (C) model and one was an older non-(C) model.

We have seen some sellers accidentally or intentionally ship non-(C) models when their customers have ordered (C) models, the above information will help us confirm whether or not you have 2 genuine (C) models.

As far as we are aware, if both of these cameras are exactly the same models, then no matter when they were built there shouldn't be significant hardware differences between them.

This is the reason we want you to check the firmware and the "Firmware Version Property" because we would only expect to see the physical differences you are showing above if one camera was a (C) model and one was an older non-(C) model.

We have seen some sellers accidentally or intentionally ship non-(C) models when their customers have ordered (C) models, the above information will help us confirm whether or not you have 2 genuine (C) models.
Thank you for the answer. I'll check that also. Both boxes and labels have the letter "(C)" at the end of the model number.

The later one looks like it might be one of the deep base models. On some older Hikvision turrets (DS-2CD2325FWD-I as an example) you could just to say fit the cable assembly behind the camera when wall mounting (without a backbox). This wasn't possible on the newer models. However at some point Hikvision were doing an optional deep base variant for the turret cameras that left room again. I've not had one myself but there was a video on the DVS website regarding it.

Back