01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Long Range Ethernet

Lectrician

Hi.

Is it possible to link a pair of HikVision switches together over a 200m Ethernet connection. I know the PoE ports support extended range, but not sure on the uplinks?

thanks.

Not sure, can you elaborate / explain in more detail how you want to deploy them please?
Do a quick sketch and upload a photo of it if that is quick/effective for you :)

Hi.

At the moment I have a string of PoE switches from the NVR across the site. the NVR is connected to an uplink, and then each Switch connects to the next. The final Switch is around 200m from the one before it, so too long a run for standard Ethernet. At the moment I use a pair of LongSpan converters to achieve the final 200m jump. There is only two cameras on the end.
The LongSpan converters failed recently, and the switches, due to lightning. I was looking to replace the switches with something that had a LongSpan built in, and know the HikVision ones allow extended Ethernet to cameras, but don’t think they can have extended lengths between switches.

Cant do a drawing at the moment. Could later.

It may be easier to just replace like for like I guess, I’m just trying to consolidate the kit each end.

Quick drawing :D

Attachments

• CB1308F2-58E0-4FD1-94C5-EBF94CFD92CA.jpeg
    CB1308F2-58E0-4FD1-94C5-EBF94CFD92CA.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 301
Yes, that’s what I was reading. I think you can only extend long distances to their own cameras, and only on PoE ports. I’m pretty sure the uplink ports are just standard Ethernet.

I was hoping someone would say that was wrong :-)

i guess I’ll order a new pair of LongSpan converters. They’ve worked for the few years on site with no problems, until the lighting.

I would of used fibre, but it’s an existing run of cat5 that originally had 4 baluns on. It’s across a fiend too, so no way of replacing with ease.

Cheers.

Back