01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision iVMS4200 and NVR Architecture/Streaming question

George Ghir

Dear all,

I have around 20 cameras which are a mixture of IP (x10) and Turbo HD (x10) cameras coming into respective NVR (x3) and DVRs (x3), to view these we use a number of iVMS machines (x4). Am I right in thinking that the NVR/DVRs act as a form of streaming server or for every feed on my iVMS where we are looking at the same camera the camera is having to serve up another session/stream? I just wanted to get an understanding of the architecture?

I believe that it is as you say, the camera is delivering a separate stream to each PC/iVMS viewer.
I suspect that it is most likely that you are actually viewing your NVR/DVRs, so indeed they are providing the streams.

Upvote 0
Thank you Phil,

You are spot-on as I tested this theory by looking at the port my camera was coming in on and then started 4 separate streams via my iVMS stations, the bandwidth did not increase on the camera port. So as you say, the NVR must have served these up. I am interested to know at what point a Streaming Server would make sense in my network.

Thank you for responding.

Upvote 0
I think the streaming server is just one tool in your toolbox for when you are managing a BIG system.
IMHO I am happy with an NVR up to Hikvision's 9664.
I never recommend more than 64 cameras on a single recording box, even though they offer NVRs for 128 and even 256 IP cameras.
My reasons being that, in practice the kind of issue you are querying.
e.g. it is a tough enough task to record 64 cameras!
But in typical usage, say a large school, where the Head, the Deputy, the Bursar, etc. all want network viewing access AND maybe a couple viewing via mobile Apps too - then no single box is going to deliver that well (with more than 64 cameras connected).
So, there is a whole range of software, storage, streaming, control room monitor wall type solutions to build a big performant solution :)

Hikvision's info on their HikCentral solution is here:

More from me on the IP CCTV systems for schools theme here:
(schools tend to be where we encounter most of the large systems)

Upvote 0
Yep - totally agree, coming from a network background I want to ensure that we dimension our network for scale. Today we are nowhere near those limits but I want to ensure that we have room for growth and no device in the network is 'stressed' by our requirements.

Upvote 0
Back