01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Intrusion detection - what they don't tell you!

aries7602

So I have a 8MP Accusense Colorvu Hikvision camera and I had been using line crossing as my only detection method but with the winter sun and living in a fairly northern latitude, I'd gotten a lot of false alerts due to the long shadows cast from passing vehicles against the low noon sun. So I tried switching to intrusion detection as that has a threshold setting so that passing 40mph car silhouettes would not set it off as the threshold was raised to at least 1 second.

The problem I encountered was that vehicles entering or exiting my driveway were not being detected with the intrusion detection method. I adjusted the sensitivity, the target validity, reduced the threshold to zero but to no avail. Then I had a thought. What if the fact that the intrusion detection area was smaller than the intended target was preventing it from triggering? i.e. a vehicle. So I increased the intrusion zone so that it was considerably bigger than the target, a vehicle and guess what? It triggered every single time!

So beware, the intrusion zone needs to be bigger than the intended target. I can't see this documented or mentioned anywhere so I thought I would share this.

Back