01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HDD Not Exist

Fadburty

Hi,

I have a Hikvision NVR with a Seagate 2TB hard drive (Green). I've had this for two years without any issue. However, yesterday I had two power cuts and since then the NVR isn't recording as the HDD is seen as Not Exist. I have tried to format it but it doesn't do anything.

I try to connect this HDD to the laptop although it recognises it, I can't not see the drive for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_122829.jpg
    IMG_20200422_122829.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,690
  • IMG_20200422_110406.jpg
    IMG_20200422_110406.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1,014
Hi @Fadburty

I would recommend shutting the NVR down, disconnect the HDD, then power the NVR on without the HDD, confirm in the HDD menu that there is no HDD showing. Once you've done that shut it down again and reconnect the HDD before powering it on.

If after doing this the HDD still isn't recognised I would suggest doing a full reset of the NVR and start from scratch to see if the HDD is recognised when first setting the NVR up.

If it still doesn't work after that then it may be that the power cuts and unexpected shutdowns have caused a fault in the HDDs

Hey Dan

Thanks for the reply mate. Hope you're keeping well and safe.

I had a feeling you may suggest a full reset - it's something I'm not looking forward to!

At the moment I have rebooted the NVR without the HDD init - the Not Exists still appears...

I will give a full reset next...but I'm not feeling brave enough to set it up again

Hey,

I have spoken to Seagate and the HDD is no longer working must have been due to the power cuts. As it's under warranty they will send out a replacement.

For future reference is there a way to save the current settings of the NVR?

Hi @Fadburty

I would recommend shutting the NVR down, disconnect the HDD, then power the NVR on without the HDD, confirm in the HDD menu that there is no HDD showing. Once you've done that shut it down again and reconnect the HDD before powering it on.

If after doing this the HDD still isn't recognised I would suggest doing a full reset of the NVR and start from scratch to see if the HDD is recognised when first setting the NVR up.

If it still doesn't work after that then it may be that the power cuts and unexpected shutdowns have caused a fault in the HDDs

Dan,

Previously you have provided links to firmware upgrade, it now shows file error path. Could you please kindly the firmware upgrade links for the below;

NVR: Hikvision Embedded NVR DS-7600 Series 4 Channel Model DS-7604NI

IP Camera - Hikvision Mini dome 5mp DS-2CD25555FWD-IS

Thanks

What is a battery back up? Any recommendations?

Battery Backup or UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) are basically just large batteries that store power, you connect your important devices to it (e.g. NVR, NAS, Servers, etc...) and when there is a power outage those important devices will continue to run off battery until it is empty or the power comes back on.

We don't sell UPS devices and have very little experience with them, we have an old UPS from a brand called CyberPower but I think someone like @fullboogie or another forum user may have more experience of different and more up-to-date options.

APC and Cyberpower are the two brands you will see most often. In the U.S. you will find them at any major retailer (including Amazon). I didn't even boot up my Hikvision system for the first time until I had a UPS on line and ready to go. A good one will not only provide battery backup, but will also condition the power and, most importantly, protect against power spikes, brown outs and black outs.

I have a mid sized one supporting my Hikvision system (about $90), and a large one ($250) supporting all the devices in my entertainment system - TV, router, receiver, Plex server laptop and Xbox.

Battery Backup or UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) are basically just large batteries that store power, you connect your important devices to it (e.g. NVR, NAS, Servers, etc...) and when there is a power outage those important devices will continue to run off battery until it is empty or the power comes back on.

We don't sell UPS devices and have very little experience with them, we have an old UPS from a brand called CyberPower but I think someone like @fullboogie or another forum user may have more experience of different and more up-to-date options.

Hi Dan

I received a new hard drive as it was under warranty. However when I connect it to the NVR it's not being recognised. Am I suppose to format the HDD via laptop before installing? Thanks

Inc the picture of hard drive

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_202213.jpg
    IMG_20200512_202213.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 513
Hi @Fadburty

No, you shouldn't need to format the HDD before installing. Usually, the NVR will detect the new HDD and then give a continuous audible sequence of beeps until you go into the storage menu and format the HDD, but if it is not being seen at all then it is likely an issue with the HDD.

I see from the picture it is a recertified HDD, this could explain it as refurbished/recertified HDDs may be more prone to issues & failures.

Back