01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Fluidity problem - when I watch recorded footage from the NVR on one of my cameras the playback is full of image jumps?

JulioFr1ch

Hello, do you know how to fix this:
when I watch recorded footage from the NVR on one of my cameras the playback is full of image jumps.
For example, I go from 11:07:19 to 11:07:24, during a movement we therefore see the movement cut.
Do you know what can cause this and how ?

thanks in advance :)

Julio

Hello, do you know how to fix this:
when I watch recorded footage from the NVR on one of my cameras the playback is full of image jumps.
For example, I go from 11:07:19 to 11:07:24, during a movement we therefore see the movement cut.
Do you know what can cause this and how ?

thanks in advance :)

Julio
First in the NVR, go to Storage > Record. For each camera click the 'Advanced' button and set pre record to 0 seconds (it is set at 5 by default and is not required if you're recording on a 24/7 schedule).
Second in the NVR, go to Camera > Video Parameters. Ensure that Main Stream (Event) matches exactly the settings for Main Stream (Continuous)

The above two settings account for a lot of issues so try that and report back in a day or two, whether it has helped.

thank you very much for this help, I will do what you told me and I will come back to you to tell you if it is better or not..

thank you very much for this help, I will do what you told me and I will come back to you to tell you if it is better or not..
Give it 24 hours and then check playback both for daytime and nighttime footage. I've known issues like this that solely affected daytime playback and were fine at nighttime regardless of activity in the image. I had similar issues with some older DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP turret cameras.

Hey friends,
After making the necessary changes, the problem still persisted.
I did a firmware update just now I will see in 24 hours if that improves the situation, otherwise I don't know what else to change...

Hey friends,
After making the necessary changes, the problem still persisted.
I did a firmware update just now I will see in 24 hours if that improves the situation, otherwise I don't know what else to change...
The couple of things I mentioned were a starting point but there are a multitude of things that could cause the problem you're having. Can you post the following information:

1. NVR model and firmware version.
  2. How many cameras are on the NVR
  3. Camera model and firmware version of the affected camera along with what channel it is on the NVR
  4. For the affected camera - Encoding (H264/H265 etc), VBR or CBR, Frames per second, Bit rate (easiest just to screenshot the whole page and post it) Shutter Speed.

Hey,
thank you for your reply !

1.The NVR model is DS-7608NI-I2/8P and the firmware is V4.60.005 build 220108.
2. There are 8 cameras on the NVR (3 4K cameras, 5 2K cameras).
3. Affected camera: DS-2CD2686G2-IZSU/SL Affected camera firmware: V5.7.10 build 220830, it is connected to channel 3 of the NVR.
4. See settings screenshot. (Shutter Speed 1/50, HLC:ON 50)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice :)
Julio.

Attachments

• screenshot 2022-10-15 à 20.01.38.png
    screenshot 2022-10-15 à 20.01.38.png
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 237
Hey,
thank you for your reply !

1.The NVR model is DS-7608NI-I2/8P and the firmware is V4.60.005 build 220108.
2. There are 8 cameras on the NVR (3 4K cameras, 5 2K cameras).
3. Affected camera: DS-2CD2686G2-IZSU/SL Affected camera firmware: V5.7.10 build 220830, it is connected to channel 3 of the NVR.
4. See settings screenshot. (Shutter Speed 1/50, HLC:ON 50)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice :)
Julio.
No problem. A couple more things to try based on the information you've provided:

1 - There is newer firmware available for that model NVR. The latest version on the EU portal is 4.61.010 and is available here:

The latest version on the UK portal is 4.61.020 and is available here:

There's also a .025 revision available on the product page of the Hikvision Europe website.

There is a post on the forum regarding a specific issue with a small number of 8 channel I series recorders getting stuck in a reboot loop after upgrade so it may be worth reading that first before upgrading. I don't think there's a way as yet to identify whether you have one of the affected models.

2 - Your recorder has a maximum incoming bandwidth of 80 Mbps. Depending on the settings for all of your other cameras it's possible that you might exceed that accumulatively. Take a look on the local NVR menu in the Maintenance section and it'll show the bandwidth so you'll know if your anywhere near the limit. In the the local NVR menu, you can also see the actual bitrate each camera is using in real time. They will burst above the limit you have set.

3 - I think that's the latest version for that camera. If the bandwidth limit for the NVR reaches it's limit, apparently the channels are handled in order so the NVR would be more likely to drop the higher channel numbers.

4 - The settings in your screenshot look fine - 8192 is the recommended bit rate for that resolution at H265 and the quality setting of medium will make it less likely to burst excessively above that bit rate. Shutter speed is fine. I would try switching off the HLC completely to see if that effects your issue (HLC, BLC, WDR all require more processing from the camera)

I take it the issue is only present in playback and not visible in the live image on the monitor? If the image is only jumping during playback, does it affect all playback or does it disappear when watching night time playback?

Is it possible there's an issue with the camera cabling? This could be excluded by temporarily removing the camera and reconnecting the camera directly to the NVR with a short patch cord (a bit of a pain to try, but tech support generally ask that you try that to prove the issue is not the cable/connection)

Finally....it's possible that there could be an issue with the NVR hard disk performance. I had an issue previously with some 8MP cameras. I had two hard disks in my NVR and resolved the issue by adjusting the storage quota so that the 8MP cameras recorded to their own disk.

Thank you for your time :)

I checked the bandwidth used by the cameras on the NVR, it is 37 Mbps.

Indeed the bandwidth of the CH3 very often exceeds the limit of 8192.

To answer your question, the problem does not occur in night mode.
This therefore excludes a wiring problem, another point the HLC in night mode is active but at only 25% instead of 50% during the day.
I did a test by disabling the HLC completely, but the problem is still there.

As for the hard drives, I haven't set a quota but there is a fairly old 1TB hard drive and another new WD Purple 2TB one that I purchased recently.

I also did the update and it did not fix or reduce the issue.

- Do you think I should lower the FPS to 20 to try?
- Do you think I should connect the camera concerned to CH1 to give priority?

Here's the news... not so good :/

Julio.

To answer your question, the problem does not occur in night mode
That's curious and similar to an issue I had with some older, first generation 8MP cameras. Nighttime was always perfect regardless of motion, whereas in the daytime it would freeze, skip a few seconds causing events to be missed.
I did a test by disabling the HLC completely, but the problem is still there.
Worth a try. With any image issue it's best to try default image settings with no additional processing enabled, to rule that out.
As for the hard drives, I haven't set a quota but there is a fairly old 1TB hard drive and another new WD Purple 2TB one that I purchased recently.
If you see the issue when viewing the main stream live (as well as in playback), it would indicate a camera, config or connection issue. It would be important to make sure you're viewing the main stream (full screen) to check that.

If you only see the issue when playing back, that might indicate that the problem is with the data being written to the hard disk during recording, or being read/decoded by the recorder while viewing the video. You could prove the latter by downloading a clip and playing it back on another device. If the stuttering is still there you know that the frames were dropped while recording.

By default the NVR is in Quota mode and all cameras write to both hard disks. Temporarily you could select Group storage mode, put camera 3 in one group and all others in another group. You could then assign the newer 2TB drive to record only the camera 3 group and leave the rest going to the old 1TB. If the problem clears it might indicate that the older disk has issues.

Do you think I should lower the FPS to 20 to try?
You could but that might just remove the symptom and not the cause of the problem.
Do you think I should connect the camera concerned to CH1 to give priority?
No. You've indicated you're well within the bandwidth limit of the NVR so I don't think that would make a difference.

I just tried your advice, I exported part of the recording where something is happening, and the stutter is still present, even in the exported file for playback on a PC via VLC.

It's actually good to note that in live view on the main stream there is no stuttering.

I will try to set the groups for the hard disk, which is surprising is that it is the only 4k camera which has this problem, the others do not have it.

I wonder if I should not change maybe NVR or hard drive only.

I will try to set the groups for the hard disk, which is surprising is that it is the only 4k camera which has this problem, the others do not have it.
Yes I didn't consider that. When I had an issue, it was with two cameras - both the same model. That probably disproves the hard disk being the cause. It would be a pain to do but I'd consider physically swapping two of the cameras in their installed locations to see if the problem moves to the other location with the camera (proving camera issue) or stays on the same channel (suggests a cable or channel issue)

Hey,
I changed this camera a while ago because I needed the Live-Guard function because I have some neighbors who are a little too curious.
And I remember because it was a very short time ago that the front camera didn't have this problem.
So I think there is a problem with this one, and I just noticed a last one today I met you a picture taken of what is happening on the continuous recording image.
I also ordered a new 2TB WD purple hard drive it won't hurt the other to retire^^

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 182
Hey, after being able to study the recordings better, guess what?, this actually happens on the 3 4K cameras but not on the others. I am waiting for the hard drive I ordered hoping that it will be better...

Back