01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect App not working after changing ISP?

Madgame87

Hi team,

I've recently switched ISP providers and in doing so it's rendered my Hik-connect App offline.

I have an NVR that's directly connected to the router via Ethernet, so i'm able to view the live feed via the NVR.

I remember switching ISP previously last year and got my App to work, but for the life of me I think i'm missing an obvious step (blame parenthood here). I also deleted the device (NVR) from my phone and tried re-adding it, but it's throwing a connection issue. I know it's definitely attributed to the new ISP DNS.

Any ideas?

I've attached my settings below:

My router:
IMG_6402.JPG

TCP/IP in the NVR:
IMG_6401.JPG

Platform access on NVR:
IMG_6403.JPG

Hi,

The first thing to try if you haven't done so already is to enable DHCP on your NVR, this will likely alter the NVRs IP address to an unused address.

After it has done this you will want to turn DHCP off again so the NVR will stick to this address from now on. You can then try re-adding the NVR to Hik-Connect and see if that fixes the issue.

If this doesn't work, please may you let me know which NVR you have and what firmware it is currently running.

Jake

Reactions: Dan
As @Jake Hulks says, it's likely an IP issue. Your routers DHCP pool will hand out unused IP addresses in numerical order starting at .64 and ending at .253. You've used a static address of .66. As your router is unaware of that it will have assigned that to another device (if you have three other things connected to your network)

There are a couple of ways around it:
  1. Select the DHCP box and the router will assign an address that won't clash. I don't usually do this, as later down the line when the lease expires it may get a different address. Hik-Connect will handle that, but I like to know what the address for the NVR is without checking so I can access it via its webpage as needed. You can of course reserve the address that the NVR is given in the router programming, but that's another step that could be avoided. If you do decide to use DHCP, ensure that you override the DNS servers and enter what you have at the moment. Otherwise it's likely to use either your routers address (192.168.1.254) or your ISP's preferred servers which may not work as well with Hik-Connect
  2. My preferred method. Leave the box unchecked and select a more appropriate address. As your router hands out addresses above .64, .1 to .63 are left for you to assign static addresses to your devices. I'd use something I can remember such as .10 or .50. You have the benefit that you've accessed the router and know what addresses are outside of the routers DHCP pool, so use one of those addresses. Often I'll not check the router and will just pick a static address but set it so high in the pool that it's never going to be assigned. For example if I used .250 on yours, you'd need 180 plus devices on your network before there was a risk of a clash.

Thanks for both your replies.

I tried enabling the DHCP check box, saved it, then disabled it. It gave the following IP below. Following this I tried connecting to Hik-connect, 'add device' - then scanned the QR code from 'Platform access' - no luck.

My NVR details:
- DS-7608NI-I2/8P
- Firmware: V4.51.025, Build 210927

I'll try choose a random/memorable address and see if that does the job.

IMG_6420.JPG

Just tried the other method of choosing a different address with DHCP disabled and was unsuccessful:

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6422.PNG
IMG_6423.PNG

A device gets a 169.254.xxx.xxx address when DHCP is selected but the device doesn’t get a response from any DHCP server (router). That often indicates that the device (your NVR) is not physically connected to the network.

If the NVR is connected directly by cable to the router the above is unlikely….How is the NVR connected physically?

1 - if by cable - check it’s connected at both ends.

2 - if it’s connected to a WiFi adapter/bridge/extender - that will need resetting to your new wireless network

Or possibly you have more than one router in the setup? The ISP provided one and your own plugged into it (a mesh maybe) If so the ISP supplied router needs to be in modem/bridge mode as otherwise you’ll have issues.

Yep, so the NVR is connected directly to the router, of which the 4x cameras are connected via a switch to the router.

So NVR > Router < 4x cameras (via switch).

False alarm guys @JB1970 - you were right, the NVR wasn't connected to the Router. Im such an amateur - thanks for your support though team, appreciate it.
Lol no problem - its happened to us all. I once spent over an hour unable to get a DVR online, going over the settings again and again, checking cables etc. Eventually I noticed I'd mis-keyed one digit in an IP address.

Back