01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Adding more cameras to my Hikvision NVR?

Elvira

Hi,
I am running a Hikvision NVR box (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) and in the specs it states that 'This network video recorder can handle up to 2 IP cameras at 12 megapixels, 4 at 8 megapixels, 8 at 4 megapixels and 16 at 1080p'.

It has 8 PoE switch ports on the back of the box and I can see how to manage the settings for these via the Hikvision web interface, but I want to run more than 8 cameras through this NVR box but cant see how I can get it to go up to 16.

Is anyone able to advise how this is done?

Thanks

Hi @Elvira

The DS-7608NI-I2/8P is an 8-channel NVR and will only support 8 cameras, the stats you are referring to above are the decoding capability of the NVR which refers to how many channels at a specific resolution the NVR can decode and simultaneously live stream/playback.

For example, when it says 4 at 8MP that means the NVR can live stream/playback 4 x 8MP cameras at the same time.

These figures do not total up to the maximum number of cameras you can connect to the NVR, if you need to add more than 8 cameras to this NVR you will need to either purchase a 2nd 8-channel NVR or replace your existing NVR with a larger 16-channel NVR.

Hi Dan,
Thanks indeed for your prompt response. Thats a shame, cant help feeling as if the NVR box has been misadvertised as it quite clearly describes it as being able to handle up to 16 'cameras' which doesnt appear to be true.

So, if thats the case, and please forgive the potentially dumb question - but do you know how one would go about livestreaming/playing back up to 16 channels @ 1080p when you can only connect up to 8 cameras to the NVR?

Many thanks!

Hi @Elvira

I've spoken to Hikvision support and found that there have been some crossed wires.

I assume you saw the above spec about 16ch @ 1080p on the Hikvision website product page for the 7608NI-I2 model?

When you actually open the 7608NI-I2/8P Datasheet document you will see that the datasheet actually covers 3 different I-series models (7608/7616/7632), the decoding capability stats actually relate to all 3 models and what they don't make clear is that the 16ch decoding only relates to the larger 7616 16ch NVR and 7632 32ch NVR.

Unfortunately, they have copied this information directly into the specs on the specific product page at the Hikvision website and so this makes it look like the 8ch will support the 16ch decoding.

Hi Dan,
Actually, I was getting the specs from the description on the website where we bought it from, so I imagine they simply used the information that Hikvision provided.
First time buying an NVR box so we naively made a choice based on the information they provided to us - should have known better!
Thank you for time you have taken to finding out the answers for me.
Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back