01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Wildlife cctv set up

Mike Tytus

I am setting up a cctv system to monitor wildlife. The area is 200 m from my property and I have laid electricity and a conduit for cables to the site. I want to have 15 cameras around the area and run these back to a central control point which will then be fed to three properties each will have monitors. What is the best way to set this up and what equipment would be recommended

Hi,

There are going to be multiple possible ways of engineering this, depending on your preferences and limitations.

Extending your network the 200m to the area of interest is your first challenge.
The maximum nominal leg length for a cabled network leg is 100m.
To extend it to 200m you would need gadgets such as the Veracity Outreach units (you don't need POE extended, because you have mains power at site, so the Lite models will be fine). You need to check the specs for the bandwidth you can expect to achieve after extending.

You might want to consider a wireless point-to-point link instead - but will normally need line of sight.

You can place the NVR at the area of interest, or back in a main building.
If it is not at the site, then you will be pushing more traffic over that network leg e.g. all 16x cameras back to the NVR.

You need to consider power to the cameras.
POE would be preferable, as you'll only need a single network cable to each camera.

So, an NVR at site that provides POE power to the cameras may be the best option.

However, please make sure that the NVR POE is adequate for the cameras you select.
Wildlife moves, you may want PTZ cameras, most NVR camera ports will only provide a maximum 15.4 Watts of POE power per camera, PTZ cameras with motors and IR LEDs may need more than 15.4W.

If budgets permit, I'd recommend the Milesight mini-PTZ:
Milesight UI-5D61-EPCV 5MP Mini PoE PTZ Bullet Network Camera

These, and the even more powerful speed dome have proven popular with one of our county wildlife trust customers.

Your three properties viewing the system would simply do so via the network; in the browser on PCs/Macs, via the App for tablets & phones, or they could install CCTV software.

Back