01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Why is the NVR recording two files for each event?

Pete83

Hello everyone,

Excellent forum! Some of my questions have been answered by reading. Hoping I might receive some assistance with a few other problems. The first of which...
I have a DS-7608-NI-I2/8P. Firmware: V4.1.50. Build: 180423. H.264 is enabled.

In Playback, one file is produced for each motion event. In File Management, two files are produced for each motion event. Is that normal?
The second file has better image quality than the first file.
The NVR is set to dual-stream. It is not connected to a PC, nor is it connected to the internet. Should I set it to main-stream? Is this the cause of the problem (assuming it is a problem)?

Some of the setttings

P9290223.JPG P9290224.JPG P9290226.JPG PA060228.JPG PA060229.JPG

Last edited:
I think you're correct. I just updated to ver.4 on my NVR. I'll test it my side and get back to you.

I have a test environment with a DS-7616NI-K2 NVR on firmware 4.1.61.180818 with a DS-2CD2025FWD-I camera on firmware 5.5.51.180326. I don't have the option in Recording Schedule>Advanced>Stream Type to select a dual stream. I've tried playing with the video encoding, H264 and H265 and a few other options but had no luck revealing the dual stream option. My motion events are only recorded in File Management on the main stream with no duplication. I'm leaning toward your original observation that your NVR is recording both streams. Let us know.

Much appreciated, StewartM. Perhaps the options of main-stream or sub-stream or dual stream are particular to the I-series NVRs.
Does your NVR record the same files (identical start/stop times) in Export?
(This I-series NVR has Playback and File Management, both of which permit viewing of files and export of files. My previous NVR had Playback and Export; files could be exported only from Export, and start/stop times often differed in those two sections of the system).

‘Perhaps the options of main-stream or sub-stream or dual stream are particular to the I-series NVRs.’

Interesting point. I’ve only worked with the E and K series NVR’s. The K series is a middle-ground model and may not include all of the features of the I series. A bigger issue is I’m running ver.4 of the GUI on a K series model, which is not ‘officially’ supported. While the I series firmware seems to work on the K series I can’t with any certainty give you reliable feedback. I’ll export some footage tonight and check if the timestamps match. More to come.

Back