01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

So, what the heck am I not understanding..

Stevolution

Hello all. New in here... be gentle.

I have several, various HIK IP cameras that I have salvaged from refurbishments over the last couple of years. All of them pretty new or v good condition.

Hooked them up via a POE switch on my laptop and named+addressed them all. Set the default router address etc. Some of the used ones I had the login details for already.
Each camera worked fine on the dining room table.

So, ran a network cable from the router in the hall to the loft where the NVR lives and also put an 8 port POE switch (new) in the loft too.
Ran a new network cable to the garage with one POE camera on the end of it. This also runs to the loft.
NVR plugged into the loft 8 port switch.

2x camera's run directly into the NVR POE ports (its only 2 channel) and work fine. Everything else on the system I am having issues with.

I know I can't record the other cameras yet, as the NVR doesn't support it. But I just cannot view the other cameras on the network. It refuses the login details and I don't understand why.
If I go to a webpage and enter the address.... e.g. 192.168.1.32, the HIK login page will open. But, it refuses the login (yet it works directly connected).

Can't get in with SADP or iVMS-4200 software either (but can see them)

What am I not setting up correctly? Do I need to address cameras after the switch differently somehow? I am really not up to speed on this ip stuff.
It seems that when my laptop is connected to wifi, that affects the connection. Why would that be? I thought I had set my cameras to work on my network.

My router gateway is 192.168.1.254
Subnet is 255.255.255.0

Each camera is addressed 192.168.1.##

Hmmm..... I am clearly not getting something

Hi,
I don't see anything standing out as wrong in your description.
SADP should be able to scan your network and report all of the HikVision devices (it will not list/show devices directly connected to the NVR).
In the table rows in SADP you should be able to see the model number, firmware version, IP address, etc.
You can select any device row in that table (tick in the box at the left of the row), and then from the fly-out at the right be able to make and save changes to the device's IP address, gateway, etc (by entering the user name and password). Making such a change will prove that you have the correct password.

Using the Internet Explorer browser, you should be able to enter the device's IP address in the browser address bar and access the login page.
If you have the correct user name and password you should then be able to login.

It would be helpful to know what NVR and cameras you have.
And perhaps upload a screen shot from your SADP.

Its odd. I certainly cannot access the camera's through login using any method, unless I am directly connected to them. They just throw up an incorrect login details error.
Yet.. they are all pingable, and they all open their login pages in IE at their allocated ip address.

I will grab some details and upload them

OK, So I have 2x HIK DS-2CD2135FWD-I domes. 1x Hik DS-2CD2732F-1 dome (very tempermental) and a bullet - DS-2CD2T35FWD-I5.
Not sure what the NVR is, have not had time to get in the loft and have a look (but its working fine).

What could cause login errors? You can log into a camera fine directly, but then when on the home network, it has real issues.
I am wondering if I would be better off making a self contained network (not on my home network).

It certainly doesn't seem to like something on my system

Are you using bought patch cables, or cables that you have made yourself?

It's a process of elimination really; removing possible causes.
Virtually everybody just adds their kit to their existing home/office network, so there is certainly no requirement for a stand-alone network.

Start with minimal.
Add your POE switch to your network.
Plug a camera into that switch.
Find it with SADP.
Access it with Internet Explorer.
Update it to the latest firmware.

Repeat with your next camera.

Update your NVR too.

If you want to plug any cameras directly into your NVR, then reset them to inactive before doing so (fresh start / plug 'n' play) - reset via Configuration -> Maintenance -> Reset to defaults

Your NVR passes its password to cameras that are inactive and directly connected.
It will also configure them to have IP addresses on its sub-network domain range - managed by the NVR.

SADP will not show cameras directly connected to the NVR.

I would recommend enabling virtual host:
[Tutorial] Using a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" Feature

For remote access, use Hik-Connect:
HikConnect - In a nutshell how does it work.

Back