01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Setting up intrusion detection/line crossing

dave77

Hi, I have some Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I/G turrets linked to a DS-7608NI-K2 NVR.

I'm trying to elimate false positives from in intrusion detection but I seem to have missing options. I'm using the web interface in Pale Moon, when I go into Intrusion Detection I only get Draw Area, Threshold and Sensitivity. I've read that there should be min/max and Percentage but I don't see them. If I inspect the web page with developer tools I can see Pecentage is hidden. Is this something to do with my cameras not supporting these functions?

Also, intrusion detection/line crossing, how do you add a second region/line to the display. I've read that you can add 4 but the region/line option only has 1 option.

Make sure you are running the latest firmware.

You may need to select Expert mode.

1538134887111.png

If you are using h.265/+ you may be limited to a single line.

If you experience unexpected problems, test using Internet Explorer (that older browser is still the banker for functionality).

Thanks for the reply. It's the Smart Event i'm using, i'll see if I have Expert mode under Basic.

I am using h.265 so I guess that's the issue with the lines/regions.

Which version of IE works? I tried 11 and it wouldn't load the plugin.

IE11 should be fine - we use it every day (Windows 10 64-bit).

Also, IEtab in Chrome emulates IE well.

I'll try IE11 again, pretty sure I just got the unknown plugin screen for the video displays though

@dave77 did you ever manage to get the min/max size to show? i am having the same issue.

You need to open the web page of your camera rather than the web page of the NVR

Last edited:
You need to open the web page of your camera rather than the web page of the NVR

That must be something unique to the K NVR. On my I-series I can do everything from the main interface.
KZzAV7P.jpg

Last edited:
That must be something unique to the K NVR. On my I-series I can do everything from the main interface.

Is that your NVR screen, there's no camera dropdown and only a few detection tabs? My K looks like this from the NVR, doesn't seem to be clever enough to show correct options

But if I go to the camera directly.....

Yes, that was my NVR dropdown. I could not fit the lower part of the screen into the shot, so I had to scroll down a bit to show you the min/max size boxes. None of Hik's products seem able to handle high resolution screens.

Scrolled all the way up:

x2dZOeg.jpg

By the way, how are you getting any alarms at all with the settings you have for threshold and sensitivity? Wow.

By the way, how are you getting any alarms at all with the settings you have for threshold and sensitivity? Wow.

I'm no expert, what looks wrong? I have line crossing enabled too so that probably covers it.

Your threshold setting means it takes 5 seconds of activity to trigger the alarm. That's a lot. That is typically set at 0 or 1 for such a small area. Sensitivity is also usually in the 30-50 percent range. Again, this will all need some experimentation and it depends on the size of the area drawn by your box. But for example, in that small area around your trash cans, it seems one could easily walk through that box in under 5 seconds, which means no trigger. Just trying to help :)

Last edited:
Think about how long something moving must stay inside the yellow box in order to trigger, and you'll see why smaller boxes need a lower threshold. Ignore the threshold setting of 1 on this cam, it's for monitoring only (notice it is not enabled). I only set the boxes for when we are away on vacation and I can then enable both line and intrusion. If this were set for full time alarms like my cam above, I'd set the threshold to 2.

qgsf5lA.jpg

One last note - here is how I've generally approached setting up my line/intrusion detection on my cams.

I draw my area first. Then I set a minimum box that is just big enough to exclude insects, cats, possums, etc. Then draw the maximum box as big as the screen. I generally leave threshold at 0 or 1. Then I adjust sensitivity and see how it works. If too many false alarms not related to object size, I lower the sensitivity in increments of 5 until I get what I want. That has generally ended up with a 40-50 sensitivity. But it depends on the camera - I have a backyard camera that gets shadows of waving tree branches on a shed that will set off both intrusion and line detection in bright sunlight. Lowering sensitivity to 35 for both has eliminated the falses. It just takes a lot of time to get everything perfect.

And when you're done make sure you save ("export") your NVR settings so you don't have to start from scratch after a firmware upgrade/downgrade!

Last edited:
Thanks, I can't seem to trigger intrusion detection at all, got it set to below now, I can walk around the grass and it doesn't alert me, line crossing works though.

Check your arming schedule and the linkage method. And make sure you hit "save" after any changes.

You may have to enlarge that min box at some point. It's going to pick up neighborhood cats, critters, and bugs flying close to the lens.

Back