01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Removing stickers from Hik cameras?

fullboogie

Expert
Trusted Member
Probably a silly question, but one that has occurred to me several times. The stickers on my turret cams have QR codes, serial numbers, etc. Assuming there is a very smart bad guy out there, is there something he could do with that info that would make it easier to hack my system? Should I remove those stickers on my outdoor cams?

Hi @fullboogie

It is true that you can add the Hikvision cameras to the Hik-connect app using the QR-code, but whether you are using Hik-connect or not there are multiple security measures that protect the camera from being hacked this way:

1. If the camera is connected to a Hik-connect app - once a Hikvision camera is added to your Hik-connect app it is bound to that Hik-connect account and cannot be added to another account. You can 'unbind' a camera to allow you to add to multiple app accounts (e.g. a husband and wife might want to see the camera on their individual phones or multiple members of staff in an office might need access to the same camera) but when you do this you will still need to enter the verification code/password of the device before you can connect to it.

2. If you have not setup Hik-connect - Hik-connect features multiple steps, there is the app, the web portal, and the Hik-connect menu in the settings of the camera. If these 3 components have not all been set up and enabled you won't be able to scan the code and add it

You can remove the sticker if you still wish, but it does feature a lot of important identification information that can come in handy down the line if you ever need a warranty replacement, password reset, firmware update, etc...

(although I should point out that most of that important information can also be found in the menus of the camera)

Back