01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Question on changing camera resolutions on the stream

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I’m just letting my mind wander.....
Presently stream is set for 1080p, and pix only camera saves to video with settings via Sysnology Surveillance Station, not camera.
Has anyone ever changed data rate to highest (3K in my Hik camera model) on the stream. What/how would SS react to that???
I don’t recall SS settings on this, though there have been many had conversion comments about the NAS in general, but not SS in particular.
Anybody try it?

Last edited:
Hi Jan, I'd love to have SSS to play with. That said, my understanding of their NAS products when using Surveillance Station is based on frames per second. For example a DS118 has the ability to handle 450 FPS @ 720p (1280x720) or 60 FPS @ 4K (3840x2160). Suppose you had 2 cameras at 30FPS recording at 4K that would be the limit of the DS118 (or 15 cameras at 30FPs at 720P). This is found under the specs tab of their various models. Keep us posted.
1546289221241.png

So far, So Good... New DS-2CD2042WD-1
First, Checked the Reset button... It's fine...(No need to dis-assemble -- Like the last one I bought! :)! )
It came with older firmware, and that was upgraded to 5.5.53 which in US is Latest/Last...
Then I started breathing normally..... !!!!
With IP and latest firmware set successfully I let it cook on POE overnight, and today I started in with settings
I've got it set for 2688x1520 at highest frame rate, which is 20fps... Even with NTSC set..
Configured as 2nd camera in SS, and it appears to be working...
First camera set for NTSC 1080P/30
This New Camera on table set for 2688x1520/20 (That's highest framerate it will go)
So I'll play with this a while with it laying on desk, and see what happens....
I'll bring some Mot Det footage into Premiere Pro (CS6 is where I stopped--I HATE rental Software!)
and see how it reacts in a 1080i or p video session.... and then determine if I want New camera set at 1080P or
change old camera to 2688x1520/20 to get higher resolution captures...
Didn't even try to connect via HiKvision connection.... DS Cam works.... BUT... I see I've got it set for continuous recording....
I have to go back into SS to turn that off.... or was it the camera?? More later... I have configurations to change!! :)!

Last edited:
I'm laughing... It was set correctly... I leaned back in chair and into view of camera: tripped the camera's mot det.... (Now I know that works!) When I opened DS Cam, there was a Record Light staring me in the face... And I took that as 'perpetual recording'.... Which I inadvertently did on last camera in SS... Light goes off after Post Record times out, and a second or so for DS Cam to react to that change!

My plan is once I determine I can import 2688x1520 at 20fps. in Premiere CS6 in 1080i session.. If tfull data looks better than 1080p, I'll switch Pond Camera to 2688x1520/20... If no discernible improvement, Driveway Cam gets downgraded to 1080p... The other 3 ftp picture cameras still working fine to NAS as well...

More testing tomorrow.... No Rush --- Most of the critters are hibernating now anyway!!! :)!

Happy New Year ALL!!! (I know, I'm Late)

At this point, I am not seeing the SS 2 Free Camera License Limit is not an issue for me, because any other location for a 'Critter Cam' would be one complicated install: Involving considerable buried PVC in highly rocky soil, to get to new camera mount from house or garage... Builder put a 3"ID dry pipe from house to garage, so this new camera will involve less than 15' of PVC to complete...
(My POE swtich supports 4 POE connections-2 now used)...

Last edited:
Today I changed both cameras to 2688x1520/20, from 1080P/30

Haven't found a way to get to 30FPS yet.... I think I hit the limit of the camera....

Update on this thread.....

Again, Two camera's: DS-2CD2042WD-1 which is a Pic's only ftp, not video, but it does stream...

Both camera's have been changed to 2688x1520 at 20fps. Pics are ftp'ing to one folder on Sysnology NAS, and Surveillance Station
on NAS Motion Detects the two streams, makes two different videos out of the two streams, Motion Detects them, and stores on two different folders, one for each camera...

NAS is Not dropping any frames..... Looking at the 718+ Specs, Disk Utilization is not approaching limits (still not exactly certain of how to interpret this from the Grapth it displays) Ram is at 7% Utilization, CPU 5% with both Streams active, and 5 cameras ftp'ing simultaneously...... So at this point I'm seemingly not approaching any limits on the NAS portion....

On the Cameras... I have Latest/Last firmware loaded: V5.5.53 installed....

Cameras are set for the highest resolution I can see that they support: 2688x1520

I've toggled the camera back and forth from NTSC to PAL, but the Highest Main Stream Frame-rate that I can find in the menus is 20 fps... I'd prefer 30 fps, but I don't see any way of getting that....

Has anyone been able to Exceed 20fps? I would think that 25 or 30 (Here in States) would be preferred..... for those who would take this video at data rates into a Video Editor to edit the video pieces together....

I think I've hit the limit of the camera..... but in case I've missed something...........

Thanks for your continued help!

Ok... Seeing that no-one posted on how to increase fps rate.... I'm assuming I've hit the limit on frame rate...

Today I did some captures of videos and still pics that seem to negate my previous post(s)!

I did 4 picture and 4 video captures, from the IP connect Admin Login from HiKvision camera.... (This negates comparing Hikvision Still, to Surveillance Station Video, comparisons.

The 4 resolutions this camera does-- Pics and Video files from the HiKvision camera appear idendical in pixel resolution, even though different x&y resolutions are stored different.... The picture quality within the resolution images and video appears to be identical..
I didn't expect this.... I was expecting to see the sensor pixel size change.... It Didn't...
I'm going to do other tests, but if they give identical results, I'm going to go back to 1080P, because with 1080P resolution it will do 30fps, and the higher data rates, only does 20fps....

At Least, that's what today's tests revealed!!
Sorry for any confusion my prior posts may have given....

Hi Jan, what is the model No. of your Synology device? (Apologies if you have shared it before).

I actually have two a DS215J which is good, but CPU Processing And Ram is weak. It did one camera ok, but I decided to upgrade before adding a second camera in SS.
Other is a DS718+ with a 4GB ram upgrade. I really like that one!!!
With 5 cameras ftp’ing pics, and SS creating video out of two streams, the Ram & CPU use is presently at 5-8%.. whereas the 215J was at 70% or higher at times.
I’m using the 215J as an archive device.

Last edited:
Back