01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PTZ cameras with two-way audio?

mkerton

Hi Phil,

Can I get 2 way audio over cat6 POE on my planned NVR rig? I would like two of the cameras at IP67, PTZ with 2 way audio. I'm planning on using the DS-7616-NI. Are there any other considerations/materials needed?

Regards

Michael

Hi @mkerton

There is no camera we currently sell which supports all 3 of the features you have requested, If 2-way audio is the most crucial thing we would recommend the 2346G2-ISU/SL 4MP AcuSense Turret

If the PTZ feature is most important we would recommend the 4A425 4MP PTZ Dome which does also feature an Audio I/O for connecting an external Mic/speaker to achieve 2-way audio, but we do not supply these accessories and you would need to speak to an installer for their help and advice.

Dan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I shall review my specs accordingly :). I'm sure a good compromise is achievable-just a bit more work. My experience is analogue, and certainly not Hikvision, which you bods seem very clued up on. Thank you.

Regards

Michael

Reactions: Dan
I'm back,

Ok, so Hik naming codes are....erm "complex". I have a handle on most of them, but what do the last two characters (DE) on this camera mean? DS-2DE4425IW-DE.

I notice some have other end characters.

Regards

Michael

DS-2DE2A404IWDE3 does most of what you want, albeit at IP66. It's in the so-called 'value' range but offers quite a lot of bang for the buck.

Ok chaps,

I would most appreciate comments and/or advice

1. The wall mounts for external turrets. E.G. The 1273ZJ-140. Can I assume one way to route the cat6 would be to break out the bottom of the bracket and run the cable up the back and into the terminal box of the bracket? It looks like there is a small rounded area for this.

2. Can mini domes 2555FWD-1 (W) (S) (for the indoor setup) be mounted direct to a wall, or will I need ugly wall mounts for this?

3. Ideas on controlling PoE PTZ camers at remote location/PoE switch (from router) and not direct from the NVR. I can utilise a TV as monitor which will be adjacent to Macbook Pro, Via Safari/Firefox. USB mouse in NVR. Or joystick. Or perhaps dedicated controller?

4. Each camera will hopefully have duplex audio (my choices do say audio in/out). Ideas to be able to communicate elegantly Perhaps incorporate within the PTZ solution?

Ideas and observations most appreciated.

Regards

Michael

3. Ideas on controlling PoE PTZ camers at remote location…
We Mac users are denied full functionality. There are many camera settings and controls on the Windows version of Hikvision's (free) iVMS-4200 desktop software which don't appear on the Mac version. And it is currently impossible to access the cameras' web config pages via and Mac browser (and most Windows browsers). The only way to get there on a Mac is to run Windows in emulation (eg via the excellent Parallels Desktop) and then download Internet Explorer to access thawed pages.

However, basic controls are available through the Mac version of iVMS-4200 and on an iPhone or iPad via the free Hik-Connect app. On my Mac I can:

- install new cameras and configure basic settings
- access live view for all my Hikvision cameras
- control PTZ cameras and zoom-only cameras
- save PTZ presets
- listen to camera audio and conduct 2-way conversations
- set up motion event recordings to each camera's SD card
- adjust image parameters (without conveniently seeing the results on the fly)
- set up event alarms and push notifications
- view motion event recordings
- download video recordings from the SD cards to my HD
…and plenty more.

But troubleshooting is a nightmare on a Mac so for complete control you would need to be running Windows in emulation.

iVMS-4200 is also very slow to launch (and quit) on a Mac so if you need fast access to a camera view you should probably leave it running - or take a look at the very snappy Security Spy which launches instantly and gives convenient access to all cameras and many of their controls, including PTZ. It's not free though, nor cheap.

Some Hikvision cameras have an HDMI Out connector but not all. If you don't want an NVR, you might get a TV view of all cameras by making an HDMI connection to your MacBook. I achieve it by installing (sideloading) the Android version of the Hik-Connect app onto my Nvidia Shield set-top box and then controlling it with a wireless mouse from the sofa - and for sure it won't be long until it can be installed directly onto a smart TV.

Hi Macman,

Thank you for the heads-up. What a shame Hik have chosen to limit their kit to only run on certain o/s and browser, that requires "maintaining" with virusware. I would have thought their NVR/camera kit would work seamlessly with any browser. Including extra layers of complexity with VM Security spy, not only increases cost, but crazy levels of complexity. Where to look when things go wrong!! A nightmare. As for slow to launch, my CCTV system must be online 24/7. What's the point installing a dedicated system when a load of those cheap "cloud" jobbies costing less than a junk "meal" will achieve that?

As for HDMI. I fail to understand the utility of PoE, if I am obliged to string numerous cables around like tinsel.

I have already "invested" a lot of time and effort into the CCTV solution. Seems like it's back to the drawing board.

Sorry re the rant. I really do appreciate your input, just am a lot put out by stupid things that people do with potentially great stuff.

Trouble is, there aren't any better solutions for the Mac AFAIK. There's a cheap system (Reolink) which runs well on the Mac but I don't consider it a serious security system and it's not properly ONVIF-compliant so won't play well with any other brand of kit, nor can you access its cameras remotely on the web. You could always invest in a Windows laptop or PC to dedicate to your CCTV system but I can't bring myself to do that.

There's hope for the future as the real culprit is the web plugin which many CCTV systems still rely on but has been banned by Apple and most Windows browsers too. A new solution will be with us soon and it will hopefully allow Macs to join the party.

Hi again Macman, And thank you for your considered and informative reply. I must say, I have already dusted myself off and resumed research for a "proper" CCTV PoE solution. Reolink, of course, are non-starters.

The web plugin you say. I never heard of that. When you say banned-does that mean boycott? I hear Trump et-al gobbing off about Chinese cyber-spies. But of course Edward Snowden enlightend us all to the real issues. As I see it, I surf the web with my Android, Ipad, Macbook. Or even the Raspberry Pi. I don't expect to be limited by the piece of kit attached to the web. As for a new solution-I am most intrigued. Do you have any idea on timescales?

It does cross my mind to install co-ax adjacent to the cat 6a and be done with it. CCTV has been with us for years. Only now does it seem to be a problem. Perhaps a retrospective step.

Thank you so much for your reply, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Yes, it has been deprecated on all modern browsers for security reasons. But while it lasts, Internet Explorer on Windows still delivers; and so would an old Mac running Safari version 11. For the same reason, Flash will be killed off at the end of this year with new operating systems using HTML 5 instead (as Steve Jobs wanted). A new ecosystem for CCTV will evolve but until then it's a minefield.

Macman,

Thank you so much for your effort and info. I have macs from the E-Mac (I can't seem to part with them). I also have a 17 inch MBP with SL and Sierra (and WinXP under boot camp but only for legacy programs). My everyday unit is another MBP with Catalina. HTML5 seems the obvious way to go. But why the need for a new OS? Surely a browser plugin would do. I have always refused Flash and have had run-ins with our old BEEB for "upgrading" iplayer.

What a shame Hik CCTV "solutions" require crap to work. Wise men build their houses on sand :) I have been sniffing at VLC, but that looks like another minefield. I'm defo going to challenge Hik. In fact I'm going to contact Mozilla to get their take on this whole "minefield". It should'nt be that way.

I'll keep you posted if anything exciting emerges (:

Michael

Ah yes. Apart from sentimental reasons, they are objets d'art. I still have my first Mac - Quadra 840AV - which was over-specified for my needs at the time! And while my 5k iMac is a modern SSD/Retina marvel, the other daily runner on my desk is an ageing Mac Mini attached to a truly venerable Apple Cinema HD Display which has been used all day, every day for the last 17 years and still looks like new.

Good luck on your mission and I look forward to your dispatches.

Macman,

I have just stumbled across the Hik iVMS-4200 workstation. This slim box looks pretty empty except it contains what looks like an embedded PC (Win10) pre-configured with the iVMS-4200 software. It can take a couple of HDDs, and thats about it except VGA and USB conections for monitor and mouse. Not sure the cost, but knowing M$ it's not gonna be cheap despite the crap version of Win. At least it is built to work with Hik product range. I'm planning on going for the 16 port K range NVR, but still a bit confused what additional functionality a PC/iVMS-4200 would bring to the NVR! It seems to me the NVR embedded firmware brings a lot to the table on its own.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. I look forward to obs/comments.

Regards

Michael

I can't help you with that thing. If I wanted a dedicated Windows workstation (which I don't), I would buy one off the shelf (or build one) and configure it myself.

Back