01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Over exposure of faces at night - help !

flames

Hi Everyone,

I have a Hikvision system using 3 DS-2CD2232 cameras and a IPC-B640-Z vari focal camera. My problem is on the vari focal (which has far more image adjustment options) I cannot get a decent image of a face at night (from approx 10 metres). It's not a totally dark street, there is ambient light from various places. I stood my daughter out there last night to give me an opportunity to play with the camera settings. The face always seems "washed out" to the point that it's of no evidential value. I've read lots and lots on the web and forums about settings, but cant seem to get it any better.

I would welcome any suggestions. Attached are some images.

Cheers,

Simon
vlcsnap-2019-01-26-08h49m59s658 (2).png
vlcsnap-2019-01-26-08h50m52s030.png

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-01-26-08h51m01s731.png
    vlcsnap-2019-01-26-08h51m01s731.png
    3 MB · Views: 511
It doesn't look like the IPC-B640-Z has 'Smart IR'.
Somethings to try:
Try disable the IR light and see if it makes any difference.
Check the lens is clean.
Make sure you are on the latest firmware.
Keep us posted.
1548609750573.png

It doesn't look like the IPC-B640-Z has 'Smart IR'.
Somethings to try:
Try disable the IR light and see if it makes any difference.
Check the lens is clean.
Make sure you are on the latest firmware.
Keep us posted.
View attachment 1655

Thanks for the reply. I have researched on the net and i'm going to try speeding up the shutter speed ( thereby letting in less light ) to see if that reduces the washing out of the faces. I appreciate that everything else will go darker, but the main purpose of this camera is to capture faces. I'm also going to try it with Smart IR turned off (it does have this adjustment)

I've also tried updating the firmware on all the cameras, using firmware from the Hikvision UK portal, but the update always fails. I've tried via the NVR using a USB stick, and via my desktop, neither seem to work. Any ideas ?

Regards

Simon

Hi Phil,

I've already tried that. When you select "browse" to locat the digicap file on the desktop (c drive), no dialog box opens, i.e. there is no way to point at the digicap file. I've also tried it on USB stick, and that doesn't work. Nor does it work after rebooting the NVR

Regatds

Hi Phil,

Yes, Windows 10, and IE, not Edge, and it's being run as Administrator

Perhaps your anti-virus or firewall software?
Try it with shields down.

Maybe a pop-up or ad blocker?
Check the address bar and elsewhere for any fleeting notifications.

Hi flames, have you managed to resolve this issue i seem to be having the same problem, i have tried adjusting shutter and settings with no luck??

Hi silkpaint,

To a degree, yes. I've turned down the IR on the camera through the menus you access when logging in on a computer. I've also upped the shutter speed, to allow less light in. The downside of this is that the camera will not show anything else, so there is a very dark image, but with relatively better faces when people walk past the camera. I have another camera covering my vehicles, so that will capture the "action" and this one will help with the faces/number plates

Cheers

Back