01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR suddenly stopped working - PoE power overload

srj

Hello,

I have a DS-7608NI-K2/8P that suddenly stopped working, the cameras are not powering up (as far as I can tell).

I have checked the logs and I see a lot of "PoE power overload messages" since the day it stopped.
The lights at the back, for each camera UTP port are not blinking. Tried a new camera that was never used and that one didn't work either.
Tried to change settings to it's default, reboot, shutdown, nothing solves the issue.

I have found other forums with this issue, but none actually makes me understand what happened or if it's solvable.

Can somebody please shed some light in this? Can I do something to fix it or do I need to change the NVR?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hi,
I think the 'POE overload' message is probably a red herring:
Hikvision DS-7616ni-i2/16P NVR POE Issue - "PoE Power Overload"

I assume that, as you are able to reboot, shutdown etc. the NVR appears to be working otherwise. Such that the only problem is with powering the cameras.

I have once seen POE output power fail from a Hik NVR.
If that is the case it would need to be returned to your reseller for repair / replacement.

Yes, the NVR is working. I have read that thread and others, in which the OP stated that they managed to have the cameras work again or the issue is intermittent in their case.

In my case the errors keeps popping up, but the cameras are not working at all. Guess I need to RMA the NVR, but I would love to avoid this if anything else can be done.

Thank you for your reply.

Only the usual 'clutching at straw' things:
Shut it down - and switch it off and on again
Try newer firmware
Try with only one camera

If I remember correctly, on a direct-connected monitor it will show you the POE power being drawn

BTW - I just looked at our demo 7616-I's logs and it is still reporting POE overload every hour :confused:

I have upgraded the firmware to it's latest version and still no go.

If you have the same logs then I think I'll just give up and RMA. Are your cameras working with those logs? Any interruptions?

Yes, that demo NVR continues to function normally - we only spotted those log messages by chance.

I have sent the NVR back to the store. Thank you for your help.

Hello guys,

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have received a new NVR from the store. All good, except, I have noticed that one of the 6 cameras I got is not working. Same symptoms, the camera is not powering up, leds are not blinking.

There is nothing wrong with the new NVR, the port is working.

Now my concern and question to you guys: Could this camera have something to do with the entire problem I got? Maybe the cable is bad (even though I tested it and all wires are properly placed) or maybe something else that could have triggered the power overload?

Thanks,

You'll need to work through a process to diagnose the root cause e.g. fetch the camera local to the NVR and connect it with a short factory-made patch lead to see whether it then works.

As Phil said, you need to try a process of elimination.
Are all six of your cameras the same model (please share the model)?

Some things to try:
  • All of the cameras on the latest firmware?
  • NVR running the latest firmware?
  • Have you tried a PoE injector to the troublesome camera, connected it to your router and used a PC to access it via a web GUI?
  • Phil mentioned new cable, this has solved issues for me.
  • Have you tried just plugging two cameras into the NVR, one working one and the troublesome one, still get overload messages?
  • When you plug the troublesome camera into a PoE port on the NVR, do you see the IR lights come on almost instantly? About 20 seconds later do you hear a click sound from the camera?
  • Try resetting the camera. Hold the reset button down with the Ethernet cable unplugged. Still holding the button down, plug the cable back in and hold it down for 11 secs. Then release the reset button.
  • Any obstructions in the RJ45 connector of the camera?
Please keep us posted. I'm keen to see how you resolve this.

Hello,

All cameras are the same model: Camera IP 2Megapixel 1080p Hikvision DS-2CD2020F-I

- Don't know if it's running the latest firmware (don't think this might affect it)
- NVR is on the latest firmware.
- All cameras are now working at it should (I'm only concerned the initial issue (PoE power overload) might come back)
- Tried with a small patch cable, the camera I mentioned it's still not working - sent it to RMA.

As I mentioned, everything is working, I am only concerned the power issue might come back.
I have powered the NVR under a UPS now, and tested the UTP cable that was plugged in the dead camera, all looks OK.

Hopefully I won't have any other issues.

Thank you all for your support,

Back