01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Newer Cameras work on older NVR? Can’t add DS-2CD2143G2-IU to DS-7608NI-EV2/8P NVR. Help Please.

Tsukuyomi

Hello, I’m looking to get some help with an issue I’m having. Is there some compatibility or issue with using a newer Hikvision camera with an older NVR system? What could I be doing wrong? I’ve added some other camera models to this NVR in the past and I didn’t have to do anything much. They immediately worked so I’m confused and wondering what the next steps for me are to try. The megapixels seem to be under the unit’s maximum of 5. The other cameras I added were plug and play pretty much.

NVR: DS-7608NI-EV2/8P
NVR Firmware: V3.4.92 build 170629
NVR Encoding Version: V5.0 build 170228

Camera Model: DS-2CD2143G2-IU
Type: 2.8mm
Camera Firmware: V5.7.17_240606

I’ve tried rebooting the system, adding manually, updating the camera firmware. Logging into the camera itself and setting encoding and video to H.264. I am not sure where I’m going wrong. The NVR lists the camera as not connected and “Uknown error” but the camera is connected. I’ve moved it to a different port and with different cables with the same result. I also reset the camera and immediately plugged into the NVR so as to get the plug and play configuration. I also saw on the forum to switch the security config from “digest” to “digest/basic” but that didn’t help either. In the Web GUI for the NVR the camera is listed as “Offline (Parameter error)”.

I would note when logging into the camera itself in the WebGUI I am able to see an image and configure settings in the web browser, so the camera does work. However, the camera will not display or be added to the NVR. To be able to connect to the camera directly I connected the camera to the NVR and connected my pc to another port on the NVR. I then navigated to the 19.2168.254.4 address of the camera and logged in after giving my PC a manual IP Adress in the 192.168.254.X range. I would appreciate any insight or advice on how I can get this working.

I have attached some photos for reference. Feel free to view. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1-20240725_145338.jpg
    1-20240725_145338.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2- 20240725_145405.jpg
    2- 20240725_145405.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 3- InkedSmartSelect_20240725_145436_Samsung Internet_LI.jpg
    3- InkedSmartSelect_20240725_145436_Samsung Internet_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • 4- 20240724_195556_LI.jpg
    4- 20240724_195556_LI.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58
Hi @Tsukuyomi

I think this is likely a compatibility issue.

Your NVR appears to be an old OEM/rebadged Hikvision model running 2017 firmware and the new 2143G2 camera you are trying to add is running the latest 2024 firmware.

Over the last few years, Hikvision has introduced new security features and integration protocols for new cameras & NVRs. These new features might not be recognised by your old NVR model and this is stopping the camera from connecting.

I think your only options will be to contact whoever supplied the NVR to see if they can provide you with more recent firmware and if they can't, you would probably be best off buying a new Hikvision NVR that will support both new and old camera models.

Agreed. Looking at the details in the post, you've already adjusted the settings that would usually prevent an older recorder accepting a newer camera (compression and security)

Thanks for the Advice. Both the Unit and the Cameras were purchased from B&H Photo Video an Authorized Hikvision Dealer. However, since I can't even find the unit on Hikvision's site anymore this doesn't bode well for getting firmware or support.

In your expert opinions would you purchase a newer NVR? Or can I say purchase an older camera and hope it ok? I have an ECI-D14F4 currently working on the unit. I would then purchase a ECI-D14F2, which is the same model just 2.8mm instead of 4mm.

Possible Camera Purchase: ECI-D14F2 ($90)
Possible New NVR: DS-7616NI-Q2/16P-4TB ($450)

All the cameras are still working otherwise and wondering if it makes sense to stick to Hikvision if getting a new NVR or just put that money towards a completely new system. Thoughts to add 1 camera and be ok for now. Is Hikvision still a good brand or switch to Dahua, Unifi, etc ?

Hi @Tsukuyomi

I think this is likely a compatibility issue.

Your NVR appears to be an old OEM/rebadged Hikvision model running 2017 firmware and the new 2143G2 camera you are trying to add is running the latest 2024 firmware.

Over the last few years, Hikvision has introduced new security features and integration protocols for new cameras & NVRs. These new features might not be recognised by your old NVR model and this is stopping the camera from connecting.

I think your only options will be to contact whoever supplied the NVR to see if they can provide you with more recent firmware and if they can't, you would probably be best off buying a new Hikvision NVR that will support both new and old camera models.

Agreed. Looking at the details in the post, you've already adjusted the settings that would usually prevent an older recorder accepting a newer camera (compression and security)

Hi @Tsukuyomi

The NVR and ECI- camera models you have all seem to be region-specific (I can only find them on the Canadian Hikvision website), so as a UK/EU business there is limited advice we can give you.

If you already have an ECI- camera working on the old NVR and you are happy to only use these entry-level value series cameras then you can continue with those cameras on the old NVR. If you want the add more advanced cameras (2xx3G2, 2xx6G2, 2xx7G2 models) with smart features, you will need to upgrade the NVR to something like the Q2 model you've selected above.

Thank you both. Really appreciate your help and advice.

Hi @Tsukuyomi

The NVR and ECI- camera models you have all seem to be region-specific (I can only find them on the Canadian Hikvision website), so as a UK/EU business there is limited advice we can give you.

If you already have an ECI- camera working on the old NVR and you are happy to only use these entry-level value series cameras then you can continue with those cameras on the old NVR. If you want the add more advanced cameras (2xx3G2, 2xx6G2, 2xx7G2 models) with smart features, you will need to upgrade the NVR to something like the Q2 model you've selected above.

Reactions: Dan
Back