01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

new purchase advice

marc.knuckle

i recently had some writing scrawled outside our drive that was more likely just kids but i now want a camera to watch the front.

i want it to be an ip camera for easy internet viewing.

i want to be able to record but wouldnt need too muc storage, i guess SD recording would be fine.

it must be able to record at night so IR needed.

pan and tilt would be nice but i believe this grately increases cost.

i initially wanted the ease of set up of having an internal camera pointed out but it seems to be that the IR reflects off the glass. (any way of avoiding this??)

if i need an external one, will the wireless signal get through the wall? if i need to use an ethernet cable would it work having this connected to a homeplug at both ends? if so, i wouldnt need a seperate power cable if it has power over ethernet would i?

cost needs to be reasonable as we dont have much surplus cash but i realise the importance of getting it right first time so i can probably get to about £300 if needs be.

as you can see, i have many questions and absolutely no experience with this.

please help!

I would not recommend using an indoor camera and point it out of the window. I tried that and there were too many problems - not only does the IR reflect off the glass but the motion detection and any other sensors probably won't work either effectively because of the glass.

I went for an EyeSpy247HDSD for indoor use and their EXT camera for outdoor monitoring.

I have quite think walls and so far the EXT has been rock solid with my BT Infinity hub.

Make sure you go for an outdoor camera with a good wifi module. Some are quite crap.

The other good thing about the EyeSpy cameras is that they have a web recording system which you can use to store your recordings and play then back from anywhere. Quite cool and more importantly useful as they can also send you alerts by email or text.

Good luck.

Memman

cheers mate. i have been looking at the 247ext. they also do an ext+ but i cant find anywhere to buy it. my router is wireless n as i believe the ext is and it is only 1 floor above where it would be located and about 4 meters in distance. would i only need to drill a hole for the power cable and thats it?
is there any local storage option for the ext as the ext+ has sd capability?

I asked them about the ext+ too as I saw it on their site but they say it's not available yet. Should be soon they say.

If you email them directly I'm sure you'll get useful answers to your questions as they are usually very good at responding quickly.

Memman

cheers mate. i dont know whether to wait for their ext+ as it should be out soon but i dont know the costs so hard to decide

Marc, i recommend to use Pan tile IR indoor IP camera. In my opinion, there are some good products from $200-250, totally meet your demands. If you need PoE function, remember to use router which supports PoE. Hopefully, it is helplful.

Lucy Lu

Back