01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

n00b - need advice please on cctv

kevineaton

hi, hope you are well.

im looking to buy an nvr, poe camera system, i could probably get away with 2 or 3 cameras, 4 at most

i probably dont need 4k, but when i buy something i hate to think that i could have got a "better" product for a little more....put me right there if you need to.

i want night vision, 30 meters is plenty

i'd like to be able to use an app to view the cameras and also use a browser on my pc and it needs to record continuously on the nvr for a good amount of time, say 3 or 4 weeks - 2tb should be enough for this i think.

i want to put the nvr in loft and run it headless.

ive been looking at hikvison and lorex. from reading, it looks like they are the same manufacturer (hikvision).

cameras will be mounted to vertical walls most likely.

cabling and networking are no problem for me.

im looking at these kits

[links to competitor's websites removed]

a really dumb question:

A) the cameras in all the above...presumably they can be mounted to a vertical surface and then be pointed in the right direction through adjustments on the bullet arms themselves? I'm asking as it doesn't look obvious that they can be. i may want to point the camera left or right a bit from a perfect 90 degress from the wall. i keep saying to myself...this must be possible but i cant see the adjustments on some of them

some less dumb questions:

B) i can afford any of those kits, but i have other things to spend money on so is it worth spending the extra cash?

C) are there any better options out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
A) Yes - they are 3-axis adjustable
B) As with most things, you get what you pay for. We have lots of customers who are purchasing their second system after disappointing results with systems purchased from Maplins, etc.
C) Our GoTo for a home system would be the turret cameras:
The 2385 is the best at 8MP, but 5MP and 3MP versions are also available. Mounting accessories are shown in the Frequently Bought Together section on each page.
The 7604 NVR should meet your needs well, as long as you're sure you won't need more than 4 cameras.
I would estimate a 4TB HDD would be a better fit for your requirements.

thanks very much for this. im sorry about the links to competitors! i thought this was just a general cctv forum!

ok, i will have a think about all of this. you've been really helpful, so thanks again!

Back