01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Move Hikvision G1 cameras off NVR and to regular POE switch - Bandwidth question...

pdampier

I have a Hikvision NVR (K8 model) with 6 cameras attached to the back of it via POE.

Since the NVR is so loud I want to move the NVR up to my home office which is connected to my main network via 1 Gigabit Ethernet. That office have my main PC, Wifi AP, and Synology NAS.

Network topology wise the cameras would attach to a new 16 port POE switch downstairs with one 1GB uplink going to my home office 8 port Gigabit switch and another uplink going to my internet router.

How much traffic should I expect to eat up my 1 gigabit uplink to my home office where the NVR would now be? I have my G1 cameras in H265+ mode. I'm concerned if they will utilize to much of the link down to the main switch and router and prevent my main PC from being able to hit the 900-980Mbps speeds it currently gets to the internet?

Also even with the NVR up in the office it will be loud while I'm working. Is there any recommended way to replace fans or reduce noise?

Hi @pdampier

It is hard to say exactly the traffic/bandwidth that your 6 camera system will use as there are many factors that impact the bandwidth used, but from our experience of similar-sized systems, I would not expect it to impact your internet speed in a significant way that would be noticeable to anyone with regular internet usage.

If you search for "NVR fans" or fan noise" in the forum you will see several threads discussing replacing default fans with quieter replacements.

Back