01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Maximum distance over the network for cameras to an NVR?

616marek

Hi. I would like to ask about max distance for cameras on 1 NVR. Am I right saying NVRs with PoE are capable of working with cameras which are max of 100meters away? Then it can be extended with either settings for long distance which will then go up to 300 meters or with use of extenders?

And what about NVRs without PoE? Is there a restriction? If so then what is the max distance? Or is it based on the external PoE switch? And what is the limiting factor? If I go over 100 meters is it going to loose power for the camera to work or the actual signal- data transfer?

And let’s say I have got big local network stretched over huge land and I need to run long cables to the corners of the land so I can have my cameras in there. Can I just connect few PoE switches across my network and then somewhere in the middle of the field in my office have NVR connected to that network? The cables from NVR to each of the switches would be around 200 metres. Is this doable? What should I be aware of in regards to the max distance?

Thank you in advance for any help and have a good day!

The basic rule is that - the nominal maximum network length for any leg of a network is 100m, with or without POE.

So, if you imagine something like a large secondary school:
They may have a comms room somewhere in the centre.
They might place a network switch on each floor of the building.
The network leg from the central comms room to any of the per floor switches is less than 100m.
The length from a switch on any floor to any device on that floor is less than 100m.
Maybe their gym is in a separate building, so they would place a separate switch in that gym for all the devices located in and around the gym.
Perhaps they need an additional switch located near the Reception area to enable them to get the leg length to the gym below 100m.
You get the idea.

The above limitations only apply to copper network cables.
With fibre-optic links you can run to much greater distance (miles) - but fibre is a different topic.
Fibre cannot carry POE.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for your quick and knowledgeable answer.

So if I sum it up. I can essentially go as far as I want if I put switch every 100meters. Obviously if I was going to use switches then there would be no point having PoE NVR, right? Because in other words I would be powering the additional switches from the NVR PoE ports? :D

And just to touch the fibre topic- Could I have fibre cable for long distance in between switches and then just copper cables for local short distance wiring? Or would there have to be the whole system incl. switches, routers etc fibre compatible? And with fibre I would have to use power adaptor for each camera I guess.

Yes, you've got it.

The NVRs for larger systems don't tend to have POE ports for cameras.
See the below Hikvision 9632 NVR for 32 cameras.
The same series offers models for 32, 64, 128, and even 256 cameras.
I do not recommend more than 64 cameras on any single NVR - IMO the boxes just do not have the brain power (CPU, RAM, and bandwidth) to handle more than 64 cameras to multiple users well.
Users, such as schools, with big systems tend to like the dual-LAN that these boxes offer; connect the cameras to switches on one of the NVR's LAN connectors; connect the other LAN port to the site's general network for access to the NVR and its cameras.

Just an FYI, there is actually a checking handshake that takes place before POE power is provided from any switch port - it checks to see whether the device connected can accept POE power, if not a device that is ready/expecting power, then no POE power is sent.

And yes, you can have a very long fibre leg to a distant location, then install a POE switch there (using local mains power to power the switch) which can then POE-power cameras or other devices connected to it.

Back