01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Live View stuttering

__CA__

Hi

When I try and view Live View through the iVMS-4200 client or Internet Explorer (on the same network as the NVR, not remotely), the feed comes up but freezes after 2 seconds, then gets going again after 5-8 seconds, but freezes again. If I change to a sub-stream (in IE, I can't see how to do this in iVMS) the quality is greatly reduced, but it runs smoothly.

So it feels like a bandwidth problem, but if I switch to playback mode it will play normally even at a decent resolution (there's a delay in bringing up the selected time point, but once it's playing, it's fine).

Surely Live View can be viewed at a decent resolution when I'm on the same network? I can forgive it not playing HD on a mobile network!

Thanks

It does sound like a bottleneck. I presume you have a few cameras. Can you unplug some from the NVR and retest?

Hi @__CA__ It could perhaps be a network problem.
Check your camera's IP address (make sure you haven't accidentally duplicated it i.e. used the same IP address for two devices), check you have entered a gateway address and DNS address.

Thanks for your help... I only have one camera for now, a DS-2CD2185FWD-I 8MP connected to a DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR.

The camera's IP is 192.168.254.5 - it doesn't appear to be duplicated, the 8 channels under Settings > Camera Management are all unique. Everything else connected to the router has an IP address 192.168.0.xx

The NVR is 192.168.0.22

The IPv4 Default Gateway address (found on Network > Basic Settings) is 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS server is the same, 192.168.0.1

I seem to remember I changed the DNS server to Google (8.8.8.8?) at some point whilst trying to set up remote access, before I realised Hik Connect was the way forward. 'Auto DNS' is unticked currently.

As an aside, if I use SADP, I only see the NVR, no other devices. Is this normal? I seem to remember during the intial setup / activation the activation of the camera was handled by the NVR, rather than plugging the camera into the PC direct and I've never seen it in SADP.

All that you mention looks fine.

Is the camera installed on a home-made network cable?
I have seen cable problems limit bandwidth / prevent max resolution a number of times.
You can test by fetching the camera close to the NVR and using a short bought patch cable.

Yes, it's Cat6 cable from Amazon... link

Maybe it's cheap rubbish?! I'll try a patch cable as you suggest, thanks Phil.

Back