01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP Camera for bird table

Focus

Hi, I am after an outdoor IP camera (POE) for recording visitors to a bird table. I will be feeding the video into an AI system, preferably RTSP (or multiple streams would be great) that will identify the type of bird in real time. It's a personal project so need something that wont break the bank :) If it doesn't work I would like to re-purpose it as a garden security/wildlife camera. Any suggestions ?
p.s. the AI system will be running on a Raspberry Pi.
Cheers.

Hi @Focus

How far from the bird table is the camera's potential mounting position?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, we would probably recommend something like the DS-2CD2545FWD-IS 4MP Mini Dome or the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Turret as both support RTSP and will give you great detail over that short 1-2m distance (especially if using the narrower 4mm focal length)

If you only want the bird table to fill the cameras field of view entirely then you will need to consider a varifocal model like the DS-2CD2685G1-IZS 6MP Varifocal Bullet which has a 2.8-12mm focal length range allowing you to adjust the field of view of the camera until it covers the exact area you want.

Ok, we would probably recommend something like the DS-2CD2545FWD-IS 4MP Mini Dome or the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Turret as both support RTSP and will give you great detail over that short 1-2m distance (especially if using the narrower 4mm focal length)

If you only want the bird table to fill the cameras field of view entirely then you will need to consider a varifocal model like the DS-2CD2685G1-IZS 6MP Varifocal Bullet which has a 2.8-12mm focal length range allowing you to adjust the field of view of the camera until it covers the exact area you want.
Great, thanks, will take a look :)

Reactions: Dan
Focus... My response to the same question I asked myself was - 'Let's try something!' I tried a simple remote control via iPhone of a Panasonic DMC-TZ71. (I brick'd that cam with sand at the beach and replaced it for <U$70 off eBay...I liked it so much I bought a second TZ) You can see it on the tripod. The downside to the Panasonic - you have to be available to take the pic.

The second was a simple placement of an inexpensive IP cam in a box at the bath. It is a direct feed to a 27" monitor in the kitchen. I will revise that this Spring with 4K and am attempting to talk my wife into allowing space for a 43" 4K TV as a monitor; it eats a lot of room in a small house. Got for it ...we discovered a different crew comes to the bath vs the feeders about 5m apart? Birds are a pleasant diversion from the world outside our gate.

Jim

Attachments

• Birdbath1.jpg
    Birdbath1.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Birdbath2.jpg
    Birdbath2.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Birdbath3.jpg
    Birdbath3.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 217
Back