01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How does it know IP addresses

sh74

This is probably a very stupid question but...
How does HikConnect know the IP address of a camera? If it is because the camera connects to Hik servers and therefore we have the source address then the next question is how do we know the address of the video recorder if the IP address of the home router is dynamic?

All of the explanation I have read so far make no sense or gloss over the hard bits. Perhaps it is me? :-)

Your camera or NVR effectively 'phones home' to the portal and informs the portal of its current web IP address

Thanks a lot for the links. If I want to view a video stored on the home video recorder, the current dynamic address of the box would need to go to the Hik server which implies that I need to configure DDNS on my home router with the Hik server as the target no?

If you are using the Hik-Connect portal with the Hik-Connect Apps on your phone/tablets, then you should simply add your Hikvision NVR to your Hik-Connect account at the portal, then you will be able to see Live and recorded video from each/all of the cameras connected to the NVR.
You do not need to worry about web IP addresses DDNS etc. as the portal takes care of it all.
The NVR calling home (back to the portal) means that the Hik-Connect portal and Apps always know where to find your NVR on the web, and permits your access.

However, if you want to use a browser on a PC/laptop/Mac when away from your system, then you cannot unfortunately do so via Hik-Connect.
You will need to configure port forwarding on your router, and if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP, then you will also need to set up a DDNS service with a provider such as No-IP.

Thanks Phil but I have one more question - sorry!
The NVR and camera would need to call once per day even if you didn't access them since the dynamic IP address of the home router will normally change once per day. DDNS can handle this or some clever app in Hikconnect but in any event; once per day.
This would apply to both the android app and other devices I suppose

I don't actually know the details, I just have not sought them (they may be out there), but I assume that the system must be able to detect & update e.g. know that your web IP address has changed, and update the portal straight away.

Otherwise, there could be periods of many hours between a change and the portal being updated.
Which would of course result in you not being able to reach your Hikvision devices.

Since you don't need to configure ddns I suspect it is an app on the NVR doing this

Since you don't need to configure ddns I suspect it is an app on the NVR doing this
You can enable the use of the Hik-Connect portal from the Configuration settings of a camera or NVR.

1551879633437.png

http://hikvisionusa.com/Techsupport/how to/Hik-Connect Data Sheet NA090517.pdf

There are two ways. Using P2P the video goes via the Hik server which might explain the maximum viewing time of 5 minutes! I suspect the update of the remote address is done via Hiks P2P protocol but I can't find details.
I must admit that I fail to see why they have done this instead of just sticking to standard stuff using DDNS. They used to have a DDNS server of their own but dropped it. I would suspect they will go back to this since the security implications of their P2P are bad given they are Chinese

Thanks for sharing - I've added a copy of the datasheet that you linked to.

I think that P2P is now the preferred method for two main reasons:
  • Ease of setup (the current Hik-Connect is a kind of full-service one-step solution)
  • It does not require port-forwarding (which is deemed to be less secure for your router/network)
The most secure solution is to configure a VPN - unfortunately, it is also technically the most difficult :(

Attachments

It seems to me that they have now created a support problem for themselves instead of just using standard stuff (web browser and ddns). I would have thought that they could have written a simple app to do the DDNS and IP configuration for most routers (since they are all Linux machines). I use Swann and have forwarding for three ports but from what I can see this would be the default behaviour anyway.
Hik used to have their own DDNS service but dropped it but I would bet they go back one day and drop P2P

Back