01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Turrett 4MP or 8MP ?

MArco

Hi,

I am looking for the Hikvision POE camera with strobe/alarm and face detection, to use for my balcony in my house on the seaside, as a kind of Alarm system and a second cheaper camera for the back balcony (without integrated alarm).

I will install them on a switch/router configuration, without NVR and I will use the MicroSD on the camera to record the events. Is this an acceptable configuration ?

For the front balcony I may choose between 4MP or 8MP (2,8mm lens):

DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL ( Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 8MP AcuSense Fixed IR Turret Network Camera With Live-Guard)
or
DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL

I have read somewhere that 8MP has also some drawback. I would be interested also to look at some details of the landscape which is 200m away (the sea ! :) ) and therefore the 8MP could help since the lens is so wide. Is it worth to go to the 8MP ?

Furthermore I am looking for a cheaper POE version for the back of the house. Any advice ?.

Eg: Hikvision DS-2CD2343G0-IU 4MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera . I understand that the "G0" is the older version ? Will it have issue to coehist with the G2 ? As alternative a G1 ColorVu ?

Thanks for any advice !

Marco

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @MArco

Sorry, we didn't see your post.

The cameras and system configuration you have chosen are fine.

Just be aware that most routers do not supply PoE so if you were planning to connect the cameras directly to the router they would each need a separate PoE Injector or you can connect a PoE switch to the router and then connect both cameras to that.

There aren't any major drawbacks to using an 8MP camera on its own, and seeing as you want long-distance detail a higher megapixel camera is going to be the best option for overall coverage (but you will lose small detail like faces over distances beyond 15-20m).

Just so you are aware the models you have selected do support face capture, but to utilise this feature you need to switch the camera's VCA setting from Smart Event mode to Face Recognition mode and this may limit the smart events you can use when using face capture. Also, the accuracy of face capture may be reduced if you are using a 2.8mm model because the wide FoV will reduce the detail of faces which may cause the camera software to miss faces.

In regards to the 2343G0, there should be no issue running this alongside the 2386G2 because they are completely independent of each other (recording to MicroSD and not an NVR).

Thanks Dan for repying !
Just for me to better understand. I am not sure what is VCA setting ?..... but the way I want to use is that if somebody (somebody that is not very welcome ;) ) enter in the balcony the camera will activate alarm and strobelight. Which means that the alarm should not be triggered by some bird landing on the balcony or some cats jumping there from the roof. I would like to avoid to get too many false notifications .or to disturb my neighbours with the flash light. Will it work ?
I have selected a 2.8 Degreee because the balcony is 5x1,6 m and with an angle of 100 degrees I should see more or less the whole balcony. ( I attach the pic to show where the camera is supposed to be installed).

Attachments

• 20210528_072439.jpg
    20210528_072439.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 194
  • parete dove installare webcam.jpg
    parete dove installare webcam.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 206
Hi @MArco,

VCA is a general bracket term for all the camera's smart functions, for the purpose you describe you would probably be fine just to use intrusion detection or line crossing with minimum & maximum detection sizes set, this means the camera can be set to only trigger on objects that are larger than a cat so as to avoid false triggers.

If the balcony is the primary area you want to cover then yes a 2.8mm lens is the best option to cover that space.

Back