01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision newbie

Mr_Freeze

Hi Everyone,
I finally made the first step into cctv.
So far I’ve purchased the DS-7608NI-I2-8P (from here), installed a WP purple 4TB HD and hooked up 2 x DS-2CD2385FWD-I turret cams.
It’s currently sat below my tv connected by hdmi with the cameras positioned either side just so I can get the images on the screen.
I’ve powered up set the password and inialised the HD and got both cams working on the viewer.

What I want to do know is learn how I set it up properly and get it working to my iPad and iPhones.
Taking small steps firstly I should say I’ve read the mega thread and I have to say although it’s helpful it is certainly dated now and could do with a refresh. Some of the links don’t work and the startup screens are completely different.
Firstly I would like to ensure everything is up to date with firmware and software etc.
Reading the threads it points to downloading files from the Portal which is confusing at the very least, European and UK portals exist.
Additionally I see on the NVR the option to upgrade, I haven’t done it yet, but will this directly download the correct files and update automatically?
How do I find out what version the NVR and Cams are on?
The Cam boxes have SV:v5.5.53_180622 dated 11/2018
The NVR came from use-ip this week. SV: v4.1.67_181106 dated11/2018

Please be gentle, I’m fairly tech savy, but some terminology is lost on me and the whole networking part with DNS etc is way beyond me at this stage.
Any help would be most gratefully accepted.

Update.
So I just found the cams are v5.5.80 on the info screen and the NVR is still v4.1.67, Build 181106
It does say download latest update package automatically is checked on.
Should I leave it on auto and do you think the cams have already updated?

Those are very close to current. I'm running v5.5.80 on my cameras and v4.1.67 on my NVR. Everything is working well. Personally I would not enable auto-update. v4.1.70 had an issue with email alerts and rebooting the NVR.
Did you manage to setup HikConnect on your Apple devices?

Hi Stewart,
Thanks for the tip, I’ll take auto off.
Surprisingly the Hik-connect was pretty easy to get going, yes got it working to both iPad and IPhone.
I pretty much left everything as was on the original startup so not sure what all the settings mean in the network stuff, such as DNS etc, does it make any difference, what does it all do?

Hi,
DNS means Domain Name Server; your system (or any internet connected device) needs the use of a domain name server to find things on the internet.
You can use your router, which in most cases will perform the function well.
Many people use the DNS servers that Google provide:
Primary = 8.8.8.8
Secondary = 8.8.4.4

Hikvision provided contextual help for any configuration settings, just click the help icon at the top right of each Config page.
(At least, on a PC/browser - you may not have connected/accessed from a PC yet - when you do, use Internet Explorer / Chrome with IEtabs).

Taking small steps firstly I should say I’ve read the mega thread and I have to say although it’s helpful it is certainly dated now and could do with a refresh. Some of the links don’t work and the startup screens are completely different.

Comments noted.
It's on the list.
It's a big piece of work.
There are now different user interfaces depending on NVR model e.g. Version 3 for -K NVRs versus Version 4 for -I NVRs.
Hikvision keep breaking the links, by messing about with their portals :rolleyes:
I will try to at least quickly fix those in the next week or so.
We were expecting EasyIP 4.0 and had thought that might be a good time to review/update, but have now learned that range is not coming to the UK, so will re-work for the existing solutions.
Thanks for the nudge.

Hi,
DNS means Domain Name Server; your system (or any internet connected device) needs the use of a domain name server to find things on the internet.
You can use your router, which in most cases will perform the function well.
Many people use the DNS servers that Google provide:
Primary = 8.8.8.8
Secondary = 8.8.4.4

Hikvision provided contextual help for any configuration settings, just click the help icon at the top right of each Config page.
(At least, on a PC/browser - you may not have connected/accessed from a PC yet - when you do, use Internet Explorer / Chrome with IEtabs).

Phil, thanks for the info.
Still not sure on its reason. Does my NVR have to access web pages to work or is it if I need to find things from the internet via the NVR, if so what would that be. Or is it if a access via a PC?
I currently only have IPhone and IPad which I’ve managed to connect with Hik-Connect.
Another question if I may, I’m changing Broadband suppliers in a couple of weeks.
My new supplier provides a static IP address. I remember in the mega thread you said disable DHCP which I did but not knowing why. Will this still be correct once I have a fixed IP?

Still not sure on its reason. Does my NVR have to access web pages to work or is it if I need to find things from the internet via the NVR, if so what would that be. Or is it if a access via a PC?
Normally Hik-Connect will not work without DNS entries, your NVR needs a DNS to translate the url hik-connect.com into the IP address of the actual server Hikvision are using i.e. without a DNS it won't be able to find the correct server on the world wide web.

Another question if I may, I’m changing Broadband suppliers in a couple of weeks.
My new supplier provides a static IP address. I remember in the mega thread you said disable DHCP which I did but not knowing why. Will this still be correct once I have a fixed IP?
If you are using Hikvision's Hik-Connect portal and Apps, the it doesn't matter.
Effectively, your NVR is 'phoning home' to their portal, and telling the portal where it can be found i.e. what it's internet IP address is right now.

Phil,

I'm sure a refresh of the mega thread would be welcomed by many. I'm ready to buy a Hikvision setup and have been trying to prepare for its setup by reading everything I can on that thread. However, as noted by the OP, it seems that some of the steps/explanations are outdated after reading newer threads. For example - and I may be wrong - it seems that some of the described steps are unnecessary now that newer Hikvision apps or NVR software features automate some of those steps. It can be very confusing for beginners like me :)

Back