01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 34 Cameras Setup - Standalone NVR or Software NVR ?

HiKvision_User

We currently have a 34 Hikvision camera setup, mainly DS-2CD2155FWD-I and DS-2CD2055FWD-I (5Meg Dome and bullets)...

All cameras are on the main network but placed in their own VLAN.
Currently all recording is done on a Dell rack server (with 6 x 3TB drives) and the Hikvision NVR software installed (on Server 2012R2).

Ive seen several thread regarding how much you are restricting yourself choosing a software NVR over a standalone NVR.
With our current fixed focal length/zoom cameras are we missing out on anything?
We never view the cameras through the server, it just sits secure in the server room. we view and review recordings on IVMS-4200 on desktop PCs.

Can anyone please let us know what the benefits might be if we were to purchase a standalone NVR?
One thing that I have always wanting which i guess will be software not hardware is the "image search" function that i saw on the Avigilon software! (
)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Software VMS solutions tend to be the most feature-rich CCTV recording / management solutions.
NVR boxes tend to be the most cost-effective.

HikVision's VMS solutions have not thus far been particularly good / well reviewed.
4200 is FOC.
5200 had more features but was very badly reviewed.
They have just introduced HikCentral - too soon to comment.

Many people select third-part solutions from the likes of Milestone and Luxriot etc.
Due to the high number of features it is very challenging to compare VMS solutions.
A third-party VMS solution is likely to cost you at least £40 per camera channel.
Many require you to pay an annual ongoing support fee.
Most provide a free download, to let you test and evaluate their software.
You could use Avigilon's software with Hik cameras.

Back