01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikconnect or alternative ddns service

darkmanx

Hi

Just looking for some advice I've read through a lot of the guides as I'm awaiting delivery of a new Hikvision NVR and 2 x cameras to get me started with my home CCTV.

As I'm on a dynamic IP at home I was thinking I'd need the HiDDNS until I saw it's been discontinued. Is the HikConnect a good enough alternative, is it reliable enough to use with a dynamic IP or would people recommend going down the NO-IP etc route?

Is it a bit too basic or will it provide good enough functionality?

I work in IT so no issues configuring an external DDNS service but wanted the thoughts on people more experienced in the Hikvision products for advice before I start.

Many thanks

Hi,
Hik-Connect is free to use and easy to setup, I'd say give it a try and see what you think :)
No reports of it being poor at DDNS / reaching your dynamic IP address.

Many thanks for the quick reply Phil I'll try it out.

Do you need to have UPNP enabled or can the app connect to the NVR just with port forwarding from the router in place?

If you use Hik-Connect you do not need to manually configure port forwarding.
It uses UPnP.
I'm not sure if that's enabled by default.
You need to enable 'Platform Access' in your NVR as per the below screenshot:

HikVision Platform Access 10-1-18.png

Overview of Hik-Connect here:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikconnect-in-a-nutshell-how-does-it-work.1519/

Lots more setup details on HikVision's Hik-Connect here:
https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/hikvision-hik-connect-setup.1144/

Hi Phil

I'm having trouble with Hik-Connect... hopefully you can help. Thanks for the links above - google searches had initially led me to your old mega guide which takes you through HiDDNS which I discovered is dead. Hik-Connect looks much simpler but I cannot get it to work remotely.

I have a DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR and a single DS-2CD2185FWD-I (bought from you I hasten to add!)

SADP tells me the NVR is active and that its Hik-Connect status is ON.

However, when I go into the Hik-Connect webpage or the app on my Android phone, it cannot find the NVR when I try and use its serial number to search for it. Nor if I use the "Online Device" option in the app.

This is frustrating as the iVMS-4500 HD app on my phone can see it when I use Add Device "Online Device"... it finds it instantly and I can view the camera live and recordings.

If I manually enter the details into the Hik-Connect app, using my LAN IP address then it can connect and view the camera.

However, both apps only allow me to connect when I'm at home on WiFi. What I want to be able to do is set up the remote access using Hik-Connect.

I have ports 80, 554 and 8000 forwarded on the router (which I did when I was trying to go down the HiDDNS route) but since then I have also enabled UPnP on the NVR and router. Should I remove the port forwarding on the router if UPnP is enabled? Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance...

Clive

However, when I go into the Hik-Connect webpage or the app on my Android phone, it cannot find the NVR when I try and use its serial number to search for it. Nor if I use the "Online Device" option in the app

when you press add and input the serial number do you get a message

ive had issues recently and hikvision claim my serial number was registered to a different user

which is strange as i did have two units working and they just disappeared on the app upgrade

when you press add and input the serial number do you get a message

Yes, it's: "No device is found. Make sure that the serial No. is correct and the device is connected properly."

I have now sorted it, very easily, just by clicking the DHCP option in the NVR config menu. This enabled me to add the NVR in the Hik-Connect webpage / portal using the serial number and the verification code.

In the Hik-Connect app on my phone, the NVR appeared instantly.

However, I could then not use the LAN IP address to access the NVR via a browser on my PC... :rolleyes:

After a bit of faffing around I realised that the IP address had been changed. I only discovered this by looking in the iVMS app and adding it as a new device there!

Is it me, or could this whole Hikvision ecosystem of apps and access be MUCH simpler?!

Anyway, I think it's all now working.

please help me.

I do not really understand if I want to do this, then I'll have to take real ip.

Back