01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik Connect DDNS NAT problem

AndyoSurrey

Hello All
I have a small home Hikvision installation with four IP cameras (three POE and one Cube Wifi) and a 760NI NVR running the latest firmware and the cameras and the NVR. When I am out of the house I like to be able to alter the alert settings on my cameras - and need DDNS to work to do this. I have a weird issue where I have added my NVR to the hik-connect database and on the online portal I can see the address/80 allocated. However when I click on this address (it is a hyperlink in the database) it actually connects to my Cube IP camera instead on a different local IP address. I have deleted and re-added and each time it just points my NVR at the wrong local IP address. When I add the Cube camera as well it just uses the exact same address. It seems that the NAT table for my account is stuck somehow on one target IP address.

I have logged a question with Hikvision using their UK email address for support but have no response.

Hoping someone has seen this before and can help me out as I've spent many many hours going around in circles.

Cheers
Andy

Hello All
I have a small home Hikvision installation with four IP cameras (three POE and one Cube Wifi) and a 760NI NVR running the latest firmware and the cameras and the NVR. When I am out of the house I like to be able to alter the alert settings on my cameras - and need DDNS to work to do this. I have a weird issue where I have added my NVR to the hik-connect database and on the online portal I can see the address/80 allocated. However when I click on this address (it is a hyperlink in the database) it actually connects to my Cube IP camera instead on a different local IP address. I have deleted and re-added and each time it just points my NVR at the wrong local IP address. When I add the Cube camera as well it just uses the exact same address. It seems that the NAT table for my account is stuck somehow on one target IP address.

I have logged a question with Hikvision using their UK email address for support but have no response.

Hoping someone has seen this before and can help me out as I've spent many many hours going around in circles.

Cheers
Andy
Hi Andy, is there a clash between your port forwarding rules? For the external (WAN) port numbers its better to use a unique port number.

Hi David,
Many thanks for the quick reply. I did follow the very brief instructions provided by Hik on setting up my router port forwarding but I agree with you that I may have got this wrong as I don’t really have much experience with this (zero to be honest) The one thing that worries me though is that the exact same IP address is shown in each line of the hik-connect.com database. I’m not sure if me getting port forwarding wrong at my router could cause this?
cheers
Andy

@AndyoSurrey
Andy,
The one thing that worries me though is that the exact same IP address is shown in each line of the hik-connect.com database. I’m not sure if me getting port forwarding wrong at my router could cause this?
If you are seeing your public IP address on the HikConnect web site that should be ok. From those IP addresses, what are the first two (from the left) groups of numbers? Don't publish your full public IP address.

Did you enable UPNP on your broadband router?

On the NVR....
have you entered your DDNS account details?
enabled upnp
Is the hie-connect online status good / ok?

This may help.

Thanks for the continued help
The two entries in hik-connect.com site are identical for the public IP address

I entered them using the serial numbers online and so the system picked up the serial numbers okay but then created the same IP address for each one so that when I tap on Remote Configuration in the app it takes me through to the Cube even though I am in the menu for the NVR

The IP addresses are 86.xx.xx.xx where the xx are identical for both - and both end up at the local IP address for my Cube camera on .72 locally

in the database the entries show Online and have the correct serial numbers so very strange.

The cube works perfectly and as both are on the same router then I have set that up okay I guess.
Cheers
Andy

Thanks for the continued help
The two entries in hik-connect.com site are identical for the public IP address

I entered them using the serial numbers online and so the system picked up the serial numbers okay but then created the same IP address for each one so that when I tap on Remote Configuration in the app it takes me through to the Cube even though I am in the menu for the NVR

The IP addresses are 86.xx.xx.xx where the xx are identical for both - and both end up at the local IP address for my Cube camera on .72 locally

in the database the entries show Online and have the correct serial numbers so very strange.

The cube works perfectly and as both are on the same router then I have set that up okay I guess.
Cheers
Andy
Hi Andy,
Could you post a screen shot of your router port forwarding table? Obscure any public IP addresses / personal info etc, LAN IP addresses are ok.

Also let me know which IP addresses are assigned to the NVR and cameras?

I assume that the NVR and cameras have DHCP enabled.

David

Hi David
I’m at my mothers house for a couple of days so can’t get onto my router to get the port forwarding table. The Cube is on 192.168.1.72 and the NVR on .112

I took them off DHCP and made these permanent IP addresses because I assumed the mapping for the global IP address needed a fixed target. The Cube works fine but rage NVR just ends up on the Cube address.

Do you have multiple devices in the hik- connect address table? If so do they have different addresses?
Cheers
Andy

Do you have multiple devices in the hik- connect address table?
Hi Andy,
I've not used HikConnect for years, I'm not into cloud based services.

It's better to enable DHCP on all your clients, let the router DHCP server assign the "fixed IP" to your NVR / cameras. Most routers let you associate your device MAC address with an IP address, once this is done your device always gets the same IP address. What model router do you use?

Let me know when you are ready to continue.

Hi David,
Got back on the case today - my Router is a BT Smart Hub 2 - and I decided to delete all the Port forwarding rules that I had previously set up and start from scratch with the advice on the HikConnect app on port forwarding. I did try UPnP but this did not work. Then I just created the new rules for port 80 and 8000 just for my NVR and straight away in the App I was able to tap Configure DDNS and it saved rather than errored out as before. Now I can tap Remote Configuration and it correctly goes through the the NVR. I won't add rules port forwarding for my Cube in case I get back to square one because I can configure the Cube alerts via the NVR. Still in the Hik-Connect.com web page for my account it shows an identical IP address for both my devices so that is really confusing to me why that would be but I will let that remain a mystery as long as I have got what I wanted - which is to be able set my different alerts outside of the house on 4G through the app.

Your first instinct about wrong port forwarding was correct and I got fixated on why I had duplicated global IP addresses, so huge thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I think I would still be stuck in a loop without your help.

Thanks again
Andy

Still in the Hik-Connect.com web page for my account it shows an identical IP address for both my devices so that is really confusing to me
Hello Andy,
This should be a public IP that both devices on your LAN share to access the internet. Post a screenshot and obscure the last 2 groups of numbers in the IP addresses. Show the port numbers as well but hide name / user id etc.

Did you enable DHCP on your devices? I strongly recommend this to avoid any IP address conflicts on you LAN. Its easy to assign fixed LAN IP addresses on the BT smart hub, I did a neighbours Xbox and setup port forwarding for them.

Back