01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik Connect abroad

Artman

Hi I’m a newbie and have recently installed HiLook NVR and bullet camera at home in UK with Hik Connect working fine on iPad and iPhone. Now abroad (in Sweden) and cannot connect at all? Get DVR offline and ‘connection failed’. Any help appreciated - like can I do anything here while abroad or/and if I make changes to the setup when home how do I know it will definitely work when overseas. Is there an alternative to Hik Connect maybe? Previously used XMEye with a different CCTV setup and it remotely connected all over the world with no problems. Guidance/help appreciated for a non IT thicko.

It should work just fine abroad - on a recent holiday to Portugal I was easily able to check our office system using Hik-Connect.

Now that you are abroad it is unlikely that you will be able to make setting changes to rectify this.

When you get home, begin by checking whether your current configuration allows you to access your system via Hik-Connect when away from home in the UK e.g. using your mobile data, or a wi-fi connection elsewhere.

Thanks for the prompt response Phil - sounds like I’m stuck in this Swedish forest without being able to view my UK house. I have good WiFi and data reception where I am and according to Google I’m obviously not the only person with this issue.

I would have thought the default when setting up remote viewing with Hik Connect would have been everywhere - but obviously not.

As Hikvision don’t supply printed owners manuals, I have just looked at the online PDF pages but can’t see anything related to setting up remote viewing for overseas. If you do happen to know where this is exactly on the interface I may be able to ask someone in the UK to try and adjust it for me just so I can see if this works before I leave? Also I’m new to these forums and apologise if there is a already a thread related to this issue but I couldn’t see it.

Thanks again, Rick

There aren't special settings for access from abroad.

I have been able to access hik connect while abroad without any special settings. I'm not sure why you can't but as Phil said, when you get back see if you can access it while on mobile data or another WiFi connection and take it from there. You could then use an app like tunnel bear while in the UK to make it think your abroad and check to see if it works in prep for your next trip abroad.

OK many thanks for your feedback guys, guess I’ll have to leave it until we get home.

We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads here which all worked with Hik Connect back home but get ‘no connection’ here with good WiFi and data. Maybe the answer will be to delete and re-install and try tunnel bear? (new to me) or nip over to France when back.

If it works away from home, it works.
i.e. it does not know whether you are in the local town, at a friend's house, your workplace, or the other side of the world.

No need for VPNs with Hik-Connect (you could set one up, but - it is both the most secure AND the most challenging technically to configure).

I suspect that you will have inadvertently set up Hik-Connect for your LAN only, using a LAN IP address e.g. 192.168.1.2 (or similar).

I think you are right - when I look at Device Information > Settings > it says Adding Type IP/Domain, Alias DVR, and Address 192.168 etc. I did set it up fairly quickly before I left the UK and was not aware of different configurations.

Any help for when I return to the UK regarding where I can find guidance for setting up Hik Connect or/if I need to delete the App and start agin etc. appreciated.

Hi, now back in the UK and have opened an account with Hikvision (as per Hikvision APP above) but when I try to add my device (Hi-Look NVR serial number) I am told 'The device cannot be added'. Sent email to Hikvision Support who replied 'they can only offer CCTV support to trade customers?

Should life really be this difficult?

Try the following if you haven't already.

Platform Access enabled? Does the Register Status show Online?

If not, go to Network>Basic Settings on the NVR.
Check the DNS settings. Try disabling Auto DNS if it’s checked and enter 1.1.1.1 (CloudFlare’s DNS) and 8.8.8.8 (Google’s).

Go back to Platform Access and check if the Register Status has changed. It may require a reboot of the NVR or force a refresh of the browser cache by pressing Ctrl+F5.

Instead of using the mobile app to register the device try this route.
Go to and create or log into your account. Click Add.

The serial number required is the 9 digit one found on a sticker on the side of your NVR box. If you don't have the box on hand, you can get it from the NVR's webGUI under System Settings>Basic Information. It will look something like:
DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P1620171216CCRRC00335828WCVU
The 9 digits required are usually in the position I've highlighted in red.
Enter the nine digits and click search. Let me know if it finds your NVR.

@StewartM certainly does contribute a huge amount of very helpful support, for which we are very grateful!

Stewart, thank you.

The screen shots you have posted are unfamiliar to me so I assume the interface is different on the HiLook NVR's. However this is where I am.

I accessed 'Platform Access' and 'Enable' was unchecked - so I checked and was asked for 'Verification Code'. I don't know what that is? The register status shows 'Offline'.

Basic Settings does not seem to appear on the HiLook interface but I found the DNS unchecked the 'auto' and input 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 Apply. Went back to Platform Access and status is still 'offline'.

Also checked into my account and Device Management on Hikvision and still get a negative when I try 'Add' for my serial number. The serial number is quite clearly marked on the base of the HiLook NVR's.

So not really sure where I am. Do you think I should scrap everything, delete my ipod/iphone apps and start again and are there straight forward instructions somewhere for adding Hik Connect somewhere - maybe Hik Connect For Idiots? I have to go away again later next week and would really like to this up and running. Thanks for your patience guys.

Bingo - added a verification code and 2 QR codes appeared which added the 'Blue' HiLook App (not red HikConnect) and then the camera so I have a picture. However I now have concerns.

I did say originally my NVR is a HiLook (as I have restricted footprint space) and the Platform Access now says HiLookVision and not HikConnect. Does anyone know for definite if this means I have restricted access to remote viewing - like away from home and overseas etc? - possibly this was my problem all along. Nothing is mentioned in the limited literature supplied with the unit and I have tried to find the answer online but no success at this time - and none of the online sellers seem to address this issue.

Any HiLook NVR owners out there who can enlighten me please?

One way to check is to disable WiFi on your mobile device, enable your mobile data and see if you connect.

I did say originally my NVR is a HiLook (as I have restricted footprint space) and the Platform Access now says HiLookVision and not HikConnect. Does anyone know for definite if this means I have restricted access to remote viewing - like away from home and overseas etc?
Hikvision use different server names and addresses for their various brands.
AFAIK there is no limitation on where you can access from.
Away from home is away from home - wherever you are in the world.

e.g.
  • Hilookvision : used for the Hilook devices
  • Guarding version : used for the OEM devices or neutral devices.
  • EZVIZ: just used for EZVIZ devices.
  • Procontrol + : just used for the Pyronix devices
  • Hik connect : Hikvision devices.
  • 4500 : Hikvision devices

Thanks for all the feedback, as Stuart suggested my HiLook unit now does work with data so hopefully I'm all set up for overseas. On reflection, the confusing part for me was that my unit was originally connected to HikConnect and worked fine at home - but with no access overseas. I now understand the issues - I think.

Back