01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with Hikvision DS-2786G2-IZS camera?

Max184

Hi guys please help me I have 7608 k2 nvr I am connecting Ds 2786 G2 izs can see image but can’t tilt or pan camera do I need to connect power source?

Someone suggested DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S he says this is acusense nvr

Hi @Max184

There has been some miscommunication/confusion somewhere because the 2786G2 model is only a motorised varifocal camera, this means the focal range (optical zoom) is motorised and can be adjusted remotely but the pan and tilt are manual and must be adjusted and fixed in place during the installation.

If you want a model with motorised Pan, Tilt, and Zoom you need to look for a model that mentions PTZ like the 4A425 4MP PTZ Dome Camera

Hi Dan,

Does this mean it can only zoom into the centre of FOV? Or could you zoom into a corner that's already within the maximum field of view?
I.e. if you want to zoom into a number plate that's barely in the frame (at 2.8mm setting), can you do this?

Thank you,
Adrian

It will only zoom in/out in the center FOV.

In my experience, the 2.8-12mm models are only any good if the camera is very near the plate capture area. You can get that model to work further away at full zoom of course but I find the quality (and therefore reliability of plate captures) suffers if you do that. I would always buy the other focal range model now for ANPR (I think it's 8-32mm).

Hi @ADRIAN

As @codlord says, the Varifocal model you have would only optically zoom into the centre of the camera's FoV.

To zoom in on something at the edge of the field of view and maintain a good quality image you would need to use a full PTZ model with motorised pan/tilt/zoom function.

It will only zoom in/out in the center FOV.

In my experience, the 2.8-12mm models are only any good if the camera is very near the plate capture area. You can get that model to work further away at full zoom of course but I find the quality (and therefore reliability of plate captures) suffers if you do that. I would always buy the other focal range model now for ANPR (I think it's 8-32mm).
Thank you very much codlord. It seems like it defeats the purpose as we can't be sure where the perpetrator would be... I suppose the other model will have a clearer picture even at 8 mm. But again I suppose it will only zoom in the centre of the FOV?

Hi @ADRIAN

As @codlord says, the Varifocal model you have would only optically zoom into the centre of the camera's FoV.

To zoom in on something at the edge of the field of view and maintain a good quality image you would need to use a full PTZ model with motorised pan/tilt/zoom function.
Thank you very much Dan. That would be nice. But I wonder if it would be cheaper to use more long range turrets to cover the area... but at the loss of nvr channels I suppose.

Hi @ADRIAN

The VF ANPR camera mentioned above only zooms into one spot because most ANPR cameras are designed to cover fixed positions where the plate read is always going to be in the same place (e.g. the entrance to a car park, the driveway of a house, etc...). In this scenario, you would fix the position and focal length of the camera during install/set up and then you are unlikely to adjust it again.

In your scenario where the cars/plates could be anywhere in the scene, it is much harder to get accurate plate reads because the location of the cars, angle of the plates, lighting conditions, distance are always going to be changing and whatever camera you use it is always going to struggle to adapt quickly enough to these changing conditions.

The issue with trying to use standard IR cameras like the 2786G2 to read numberplates is that the IR they use reflects off the shiny surface of the plates, with proper ANPR cameras like the DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS the camera's sensor is specially configured to be less sensitive at night to avoid the IR reflection, but as the sensor is less sensitive to light this does make the rest of the image around the plate almost completely dark.

If you could provide us with more details of your exact scenario (e.g. site plans, photos, description of what you are trying to achieve) we will better be able to recommend a solution that might be able to achieve what you are trying to do.

Anywhere we have an ANPR camera we have another non-ANPR camera to cover the same or similar area. Assuming the area is not floodlit then you need to configure the ANPR camera with a high shutter speed (I use 1/2000) so it can capture plates at night, and once you do that it will be basically useless as a general camera at night.

Hence:
ANPR for plates only - zoomed in to the smallest capture area as is practical/sensible.
High res (e.g. 4k) non-ANPR camera to capture general video.

Reactions: Dan
Hi @ADRIAN

The VF ANPR camera mentioned above only zooms into one spot because most ANPR cameras are designed to cover fixed positions where the plate read is always going to be in the same place (e.g. the entrance to a car park, the driveway of a house, etc...). In this scenario, you would fix the position and focal length of the camera during install/set up and then you are unlikely to adjust it again.

In your scenario where the cars/plates could be anywhere in the scene, it is much harder to get accurate plate reads because the location of the cars, angle of the plates, lighting conditions, distance are always going to be changing and whatever camera you use it is always going to struggle to adapt quickly enough to these changing conditions.

The issue with trying to use standard IR cameras like the 2786G2 to read numberplates is that the IR they use reflects off the shiny surface of the plates, with proper ANPR cameras like the DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS the camera's sensor is specially configured to be less sensitive at night to avoid the IR reflection, but as the sensor is less sensitive to light this does make the rest of the image around the plate almost completely dark.

If you could provide us with more details of your exact scenario (e.g. site plans, photos, description of what you are trying to achieve) we will better be able to recommend a solution that might be able to achieve what you are trying to do.
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much. I thought I could use this camera in a parking lot as well as in my cow barn to focus in and observe animals if they were ill. Tbh, the priority is observing animals in an 8m by 50m area. I may have to go the ptz route from what you mentioned. Or perhaps have a few 5mp cameras.

I could always have one camera focused at the gate for licence plates too I suppose. But this is less of a priority.

Thanks again!

Hi @ADRIAN

Ok, I now have a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

I would agree to use the current camera to observe the animals and then for the car park you can either use an ANPR bullet focused on the entrance to the site/parking if the plate reading is most important or instead a wide FoV Turret or PTZ to cover the whole space and any activity that happens there.

Back