01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware update procedure in the USA??

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hello from the USA.
Support won’t talk to me.
I’ve a DS-2CD2042WD-1 camera with 5.4.1 build 160525 firmware.
Serial number of camera contains WR.
I’ve seen the post here suggestion to update firmware to latest version but I want to make sure that the camera I have and firmware are made for each other, as I hear that loading wrong firmware can Brick the camera.
Seeing that I am new to this camera, I’d appreciate some direction prior to my continuing.
My camera was fixed by re-routing the wires correctly—-they were enabling the reset button! Thanks for that fix!!

Jan (Mountains of western North Carolina, USA).......

Hi,
The 2042 is from the R6 family - the latest firmware is available here:
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

I'm afraid we can't give any guarantees for cameras not supplied by us.

Is there a preferred firmware version?
If I got the complete serial number to you would you be able to tell me if the serial number is compatable with the firmware??

This camera was sold because it had the misrouted wires causing the reset button to be continuously enabled. I fixed that with good information from this forum.
Am I correct that this cameras firmware Is one with “vulnerabilities”, and so updating it without bricking it would be of paramount importance.

Is there a preferred firmware version?
If I got the complete serial number to you would you be able to tell me if the serial number is compatable with the firmware??

Always use the latest firmware.
Sorry, no, we cannot verify which firmware for what serial number.
We only ever deal with cameras etc. intended for the UK/European market, and therefore are confident that all firmware at Hikvision's European Download Portal is suitable/safe.

Am I correct that this cameras firmware Is one with “vulnerabilities”, and so updating it without bricking it would be of paramount importance.
Yes, you do need to update, there was an easily executed and publicly declared vulnerability prior to V5.4.5.
But others since, and therefore it is important / best advice to update to the latest available firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information!
Just in case there is a region difference, I downloaded and installed V5.5.53 build 180730 from the USA site.
Boots, and I’m walking through the new code now!
Thanks again!

PS to above.
V5.5.53 code in USA is latest/Last firmware

Back