01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2/8P Powers supply (PSU) fan - Noisy as hell

JB is watching

Hi I hope somebody can help who has a DS-7608NI-I2/8P or similar. I'm trying to reduce the noise coming out of this beast as it's driving me mad with it sat right next to me when I'm working. I've tried to swap out the power supply fan for a quieter model but I've run into some problems.

I bought one of these Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra - computer cooling components (19.56 dB, 0.07 A, 40 x 40 x 20 mm, 12V, 2-pin, 3500 RPM): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories which I think should work just fine after putting the right connection on the end. So I removed the connection from the original fan and soldered that onto the cable of the new fan. Suitable heat shrink used, plugged it in, put all the screws back in the psu and fired it up. PSU works fine and NVR is ok. But, I only get the tiniest bit of movement from the fan when power is applied. It turns maybe 2° and then nothing more. I thought it could be due to only switching on at a set temperature so I put the case back on and plugged the cameras in and left it for an hour. Still no movement from the fan. This thing has been running permanently since October so I'm not sure if its down to some operating temperature or whether the new fan is shafted.

I did notice that the socket where the fan plugs into is quite lose with some movement backwards and forwards but I think that's just the plastic casing and not the connections themselves.

I dug out my trusty multimeter and I get 2.2v from the PSU fan connection on the board itself and the same when I exposed the soldered connections on the fan lead so I don't think it's a bad joint. The socket for the case fan on the other hand is reading a steady 12v which is what I would have expected from the psu fan.

So if anybody can tell me when their fan runs, voltages on start up or other time for psu fan connection or give me any idea what's up with it.

PSU in question is a Delta DPS-200PB-185A and there is no helpful info on their website or anybody else's that might help.

So all help appreciated

cheers guys

JB

Is it possible that the original fan is 5V DC? Is it a two or three pin terminal?

Maybe the fan output of the psu is pwm controlled via temperature, so 2V would be generally possible for low ambient temperature (if nominal output is 5V). If the old fan is a 12V DC type, the output of the psu is defective - starting voltage for a 12V fan is about 5-7V DC.

Back