01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV monitoring door

beefsquatch

I'm looking at installing an ip cam in a porch / hall area its about 2.5 m x 2.5m maximum size.
The camera will be pointing at the front door so we can see if anyone rings the bell or if anyone comes into the building.
I've had an issue with IR reflecting off the glass of the door before, presumably this will still be a problem with the nature of how IR works bouncing off glass.

Looking at using this camera

Hikvision DS-2CD2455FWD-IW | 2.8mm 5MP Cube Network Camera

with a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B)

Will that be a decent setup? any other camera suggestions for such a tight space?

Lastly I presume I don't have to use the built in POE switch on the Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) I can use any network connection as long as both devices are on the same LAN?

Hi @beefsquatch

The 2455 is a good indoor camera, but we don't usually recommend using it in porches because they are not usually as sealed from the elements as actually indoor spaces and the cube camera has no weather-proofing, this means it can be affected by moisture from the temperature changes throughout the year, the lens can fog up and the electronics inside can be affected.

For covering the approach to front doors we usually recommend a Mini Dome model like this one - Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-I 4MP Mini Dome Network Camera

The 7604 is the NVR we would recommend for a small system but if you are only starting with the single-camera then you can just fit a MicroSD card into the camera and then you can buy the NVR later when you expand the system.

No, you don't have to use the PoE ports on the NVR, you can just connect the camera anywhere on your LAN but you will still need to provide power to the camera using either a PoE Injector or a PoE switch if you plan to have more than 1 camera.

Back