01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I add an IP Camera to an NVR without a direct connection?

kolobos

Hi,

Is it possible to add an IP Camera on my current network to an NVR on the same network without it being directly plugged into the NVR? I will be looking at adding an 8CH NVR to my network but it will only ever be able to have six cameras directly attached to it. The other cameras are on another building on the same network. I have three cameras on the other building. Any help appreciated to help me make a decision.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes, you can mix & match direct-connected cameras (plugged into the NVR's camera ports), and cameras connected to your general LAN. In the NVR's 'Camera Management' section in 'Configuration' you can manually add the cameras from your network (enter their LAN IP address, user name and password).

I the example image below, D1 is a direct-connected HikVision camera, D2 is a LAN-connected Milesight camera.
Note the differing IP address domain ranges between the two; one on the NVR' sub-domain range, the second in my general LAN domain range.

NB You cannot exceed the NVR's stated maximum number of cameras, regardless of how you connect them i.e. an 8-camera NVR will only manage & record a maximum of eight cameras.

manually adding cameras on your network 12-12-17.png

Thanks Phil, that is good to know. I currently have ten cameras but could possibly manage losing two of them as they are not as important as the others.

Steve.

Back