01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera Query for Home Setup

need4speed73

Hi,
I'm currently looking at a selection of HIK Cameras to go around the property and trying best to manage expected throughput / bandwidth against how big (mp) and how capable I need the camera to be, I've moved the requirements into 3 catagories and looked to selected cameras based on what I think would be most suitable, would appreciate some guidance and the selection of cameras.

Low Risk areas.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

High Traffic/Risk Areas.
DS2CD2385FWD-I

PTZ - Access to Drive
DS-2DE4A225IW-DE

I'm looking at around 6 cameras all told, but not a clue on NVR etc, I've got some synology rack mount storage and a Ubiquiti PoE switch with enough spare ports to take the cameras.

Thanks Again

Hi, I am in the process of looking at a similar setup and understand your categorisation.

I'm not sure about the 8MP for your high traffic areas, but is a superb camera.

The DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR is the one in the range I'd look at the "-I2/8P"..... not the E2/8P or the K2/8P. the bandwidth you're going to generate will overload or keep the E2/ & the K2 at full tilt. This should leave you a couple of ports for potential expansion.

Where are you located? I could maybe help you with it if you're close.

Richard

HI Richard..
For the cameras I've tried to go with the approach of increased sensor size and compression standard over MP, however, fancied something a little bigger that I could grow the capability of the solution without having to replace the cameras, so perhaps start the cameras out with a lower res and see how throughput looks. I'm looking to split the network up, so I should be able to monitor the traffic utilisation over each port/network to shape it a little better should it start to get saturated.

I've had a look at 7616NI NVR just for the purpose of having more ports than I initially need, but only just got round to looking at the differences between the K/I models and agree for the bandwidth difference preferable to push down the (I) route if its price isn't too far off the mark. I'm doing this over in Southport so welcome any input.

Regards

The newer cameras come with the h.264, h.265 & the new most efficient h.265+ CODEC, which claim a substantial bandwidth saving.

See here: savings of up to 70% bandwidth and storage are claimed versus the h.264 CODEC

The 16 port NVR looks a bit overkill and is about a hundred quid above the cost of the 8 port. Although I don't know your setup has, from what you said in your earlier post, expansion capacity of a third. This would be pretty costly especially if you're splitting the network, which I wouldn't do yet. I'd wait and see if its needed and then spend the money IF required.

Looking at the specs, either of the DS-76**NI-I2/** NVRs would be good for the setup, depending on the settings of the image, but the manuf say it should be good on the higher settings.

I'd be tempted to come up and help you install and set it up. I'm an hour and a half or so away. Do you have a mail address? Let me know.

Richard

Last edited:
We find the 2383 turret is now the most popular camera:
Hikvision DS-2CD2383G0-I 8MP Turret Network Camera

8MP provides great performance.
You don't save a lot of money by using lower resolution cameras.
You don't need to worry about bandwidth now that we have the h.265+ CODEC.

I wouldn't recommend PTZs for security applications.
You will not be there / operating it when there is an incident.
Great for 'playing with' watching the bird table, wildlife, etc.
Fixed cameras dedicated to the anticipated areas of interest are much more effective for security.

Back