01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera for watching activity from 300m away

graeme e

I need a camera for watching for activity from around 310m, the situation is on an small airfield so it is not possile to erect anything any closer.

There are two areas of interest and the purpose is for the picture to be watched remotely, it is not nescessary to keep a recording. One issue is that the internet available is poor, around 1Mbps upload so live streaming is likely not realistic. It is my expectation we will have to upload stills to a website in a "webcam" type scenario. We are only intested to be able to see activity not recognise people, so 1 or 2 megapixel image would be sufficient. An updated picture every few mins will be fine. Daytime use only.

I guess/estimate that 20 to 25x optical zoom will be needed, in mm I think this is somewhere around a 100mm lens?

I would be happy with two cameras that can reguarly upload an image via FTP (I know most Hikvision can do this)

Having had a look around I can only see PTZ cameras with this kind of zoom range, though there are couple of Hikvision bullet cameras sold as "Long range" (eg: DS-2CD4A45G0-IZS) but I can't find anyone online selling them, at least selling them to non-trade customers. Also they seem to cost more than a basic 2MP Hikvision/Hilook PTZ camera (eg: PTZ-N4225I-DE) that can go upto 120mm. I've installed CCTV in the past but nolonger in the same job so not access to trade only suppliers (officially).

It seems crazy to me to have to get a PTZ camera for it never to move when a fixed bullet camera would do fine, but if its more ecconomical than a fixed camera why not I guess.

If its possible to have a PTZ camera patrol to location A and upload an image (locationA.jpg) then pan to location B (locationB.jpg) and upload an image that would be great but as far as I can see (without having my hands on one) there is no interaction between a patrol route and the ftp upload so you could only upload to a single file/location and would be as likely to get either location or even the transition uploaded.

Although I have mentioned Hikvision I'm open to any brand, so long is its something fairly reliable.

So I guess I'm asking for a suggestion for a camera with a suitable zoom and ftp upload capabilites.

Also if its possible to do with a single PTZ that would be great too.

This isn't for comercial purposes so budget it not unlimted but hope to keep everything under £400.

All your reasoning is correct.
You will need two PTZs.
Not sure that you'll get those (with the required zoom / focal length) within your budget :(

Back