01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Any suggestions on how I can improve my HikVision set up in regards to software?

Spanky Deluxe

Hey all,

My home security camera setup has gradually grown from a single camera and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with where to take it next and how to improve it so I'm really hoping you might be able to give me some advice!

I currently have three Hikvision cameras (all DS-2CD2542FWD-IS Mini Dome 4MP cameras) and I've just ordered another three (DS-2CD2563G0-IS Mini Dome 6MP cameras) to complement my setup for better coverage. Up until now, I've just had the cameras store video from motion detection on the in-build micro SD cards (all have 128GB cards). I sometimes use the HikVision iVMS-4500 app on my phone to view the live streams or check stored videos and I've lately started sometimes using the iVMS-4200 app on my Mac for doing the same since I can no longer view the cameras directly through Safari.

I'm not sure on what I should do next for my setup. I'd quite like to also store the videos (either motion detected or full video maybe with timestamps when motion is detected, if that's possible) off the cameras. Maybe there's a better way of viewing my cameras on my iPhone too? I.e. is there some 'central' software I should be getting that can take in all the streams of the cameras by itself.

I can potentially have a dedicated computer to do all of this. I currently have an old Mac Mini showing the streams of my current three cameras on a spare display as I've moved my home office to a place in the house where it's hard to hear the front door bell so I wanted to see if anyone was there. I don't think that machine's powerful enough for dealing with 6 streams though (unless it's just displaying a collated video stream from another computer). I think I still have the spare parts from my previous Windows gaming machine though (i5-2500k based) so can probably build a 'camera' computer with very little extra expense - just a hard drive and power supply. I've wired the house for Cat5 so I could put that computer somewhere hidden too (screen less), which would add security.

Why not go with an 8 channel Hikvision NVR? Compared to the cost of the cameras, it's a relatively modest investment. This site has great tutorials on how to set one up and configure the various settings. There's also some very knowledgeable guys on here (Phil, Dan, Stewart, etc.) who can answer questions and walk you through various issues.

That's an interesting idea. I kind of thought that software on a dedicated PC might be better and cheaper if I re-use an old PC but I'll look into an NVR. It looks like they're about £200 + drives.

Back